• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

RAID Card recomendation

Joined
Feb 26, 2006
Messages
3
I am looking to setup a RAID 5 storage array to store my music collection, photo's and design projects (Software and Graphic)

I am currently running a couple of RAID 5 array's via the on-board controllers, but I would like to get a separate card that would allow me to move the array if the board ever dies to a new system with minimal downtime.

I was think of using this enclosure (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816111057), but if anyone has any others they would recommend (under $250) I would be willing to look at them

I see the PERC 5/i referenced a lot, but I wasn't sure if this would work. Still not sure on the whole SAS vs SATA

I don't think I care about software verse hardware raid 5, as this is just going to be sitting on a file server. I care more about the ability to move the array if needed.

I have PCI, PCI-e 1x, and PCIe 16x ports available

I would like to spend at most $200-250, but of course less would be better

Let me know if you need any more information

Thanks
 
If you're just storing data, especially a media collection, I'd go for WHS and a Norco RPC-4020.
 
I second the WHS, you are not going to get very good raid controllers with decent port capacities for that budget range.
 
WHS is out. The current server is running Win2k8 domain, but may be moving to Linux if I feel like it.

the PERC 5/1 controllers I have seen online are well within that range, just not from Dell

I am looking for a hard drive enclosure only. I have a case that works fine in my rack.

I'll check out the promise cards

I'm not looking for knock your socks of performance, just looking for something that work well. I don't care if the CPU has to work, as it is mostly a file server and I am looking at around 4-5 disks.

Thanks for your help
 
Back
Top