RAID Array problems

michaelkahl

Limp Gawd
So lately I've had issues with my RAID 5 Array at home. I'm running the Array on a Highpoint 2310 and have been doing so for roughly 2 years. About a month ago I came home to find the PC beeping. I didn't realize what was going on at the time and just shut it down. Turns out this is a bad alert...possibly indicating a failed HDD.
Some background info: I have two highpoint RAID cards in this system when symptoms started, a 2310 packing 4x 1.5TB Seagates in RAID 5 and a 1740 running a mirrored 1.5TB volume and mirrored 1TB volume.
I took a look at the Highpoint Management Console and found that Disk 2 was kicking out errors and bad sectors were being repaired on the 2310 (RAID 5). I also saw a failed 1TB HDD on the 1740 (I assumed this caused the failed drive beep alarm).
Here's what I've seen on the RAID 5, please help me in deciding if it's worth supporting or if I should simply migrate to a new array.
1. Disk at channel 2 has been finding bad sectors and repairing them for a couple of weeks.
2. While backing up data the disk at channel 1 had one bad sector and repaired it.
3. The night I was going to swap the drive the PC started and did a chkdsk that lasted for hours. After that I found many files that were simply garbage (corrupt). There were 127 folders worth of files in my d:\found.000\ directory, many of which are corrupt. Roughly 100GB of data.
4. I replaced the disk at channel 2 and the array rebuilt in around 10 hours, pretty good for an array hosting 1.7TB of data. At least I think so...
5. After the rebuild I began copying files to a shiny new 2TB external hdd that I am sticking in a safe deposit box to ensure that photos of my sons first two years are around if something like this or worse happens again. Disks 1-4 all reported bad sectors and repaired them at the start of the file copy process and several times during.
6. I performed a verify on the array this morning and it completed with only 1 bad sector/recovery that occurred within the first 5 minutes.
7. I performed a chkdsk this evening and found 5 ISO images in the d:\found.001\ directory.

These are consumer grade drives that have been running in a well ventilated case for a couple of years but part of me is worried that they are all staring to go at the same time. My wife has approved a purchase of 3x 3TB SATA drives, Blu-Ray burner, and an online backup service like Carbonite or Crash Plan. Should I replace the array? I don't want to sink $700 into hard drives, I'd rather put it towards a tiller this summer (we have a garden).
Part of me is considering Blu-Ray backups on DL discs, the online backup service, and replacing the 1.5TB hdd's as needed. I'm just afraid that it can't be trusted any longer.

I have a feeling that many of you will say the same thing, it can't be trusted but there's part of me that hopes the array can survive and I can avoid a $700.00 investment right now.

Thanks

Below is an image of the array as it stands now...appearing normal and behaved. Below that is an image of all the error's I've seen since the 5th. I hid informational messages stating login/logout and repaired sector information.

i-wPBw5pL-M.png

i-44vvH85-XL.png

highpoint is a mixed bag.... some of their stuff works, some doesn't.

Just remember that their hardware as the lowest MTBF of any RAID controller on the market.

I would only use certain models from Highpoint and only in certain configurations. AND ALWAYS with a UPS on the computer.

RAID 1 or 10 sure no problem.

RAID 5....maybe on a 27xx series or a 3500 series card.

Most of their cards accepts RAID arrays from their other cards.

Since you're interested:

Highpoint 2710 is available for $165 at nextwarehouse.com

That card has the same MTBF rating as the 2310, which honestly doesn't bother me because it's the price-point I'm willing to work with. Just trying to decide if I'm scrapping the entire RAID for another setup or if I'll carry on with it as is. Replacing drives and rebuilding array's has always scared me.

I would only use certain models from Highpoint and only in certain configurations. AND ALWAYS with a UPS on the computer.

I have a UPS but since there's no battery backup on the controller I simply enable write-through. I'm not worried about performance as I am redundancy.

I've seen the 2310 as a solid performer at home and at work. We have 32 locations that use the 2310 and have done so for years without any issue. They are all running RAID 5, but either way we all have different experiences.

The 2710 seems like it's a beefier version of the 2310 that supports RAID 6 and SAS, any other differences?

After the rebuild I began copying files to a shiny new 2TB external hdd that I am sticking in a safe deposit box to ensure that photos of my sons first two years are around if something like this or worse happens again.

Sorry I don't have any ideas for ya, but this is a very wise idea. Good luck.

Hi all

Reviving this thread from the dead. I am presently using a 2310 with 4x 3tb drives in raid 5. This controller has worked really well for me for years. OCE allowed me to upgrade my array from 4x 1.5tb drives one at a time to 3tb drives.

I am on an x58 Sabertooth board (tylersburg fanboy, yes im using a xeon 5650 under water) and just picked up some SSDs that id like to stripe in raid0 without castrating their Sata 6gbps on my intel ich10r at 3gbps.

What I want to do is run the highpoint 2720 with my existing raid5 array from the 2310 and add in an ssd raid0. Am I crazy? Im thinking the pcie 2.0 8x will handle the bandwidth. I just don't want to have to rebuild the raid 5 array if i don't have to.

Any thoughts appreciated.

I should have the 2720 in about a week so ill post back to let anyone know if the new controller reads the old array.

What is the use case for the R0 SSD array? Unless you need significant sequential speeds that will on average exceed SATAII speeds, you might be better served by using your on-board intel R0 vs the Highpont fakeraid. I have never been a highpoint fan in general, but if you are not going to be bottlenecked by 300MB/s or need more ports than you have available, you will probably be better served by using your chipset-based R0 than the Highpoint.

Don't use HP softRAID for fast R0.
PCIe-8x does 4.4GB/s
- Let this ancient thread die, start a new one if you have Q's

Back