RAID Array not recognized cant install OS

biomods

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 28, 2001
Messages
141
Hi everyone !

I have a big problem!

Here's my setup : Gigabyte GA-7VT600-P Motherboard with onboard serial-ATA raid controller with 2 Maxtor 120 gig S-ATA in RAID0, a Highpoint RocketRaid 1540 PCI RAID controller with 3 200 gig Maxtor S-ATA in RAID5.

Now the motherboard is flashed with the latest bios (F8) and the RAID0 array is set to boot device in the onboard raid controller. In the Bios I also set the RAID0 array as the first HDD boot device.

I then start the installation of Windows XP SP2 Corp. I press F6 in the begining and load the Via RAID controler of a floppy disk. then installer procede to the partition selection for installing windows. The Array is recognized and I can partition it and setup my windows install. Windows then procede to format and copy the files it needs. When it restarts after copying the files I get "Disk boot failure, Insert system disk" error

I tried reinstalling with different settings with no luck so far...

I tried taking off one of the drive of the RAID0 array and pluged it into the PCI controller's fourth (empty) slot and I was able to install windows on it then.

But now I want to add a fourth drive to the raid 5 array so I need to be able to install windows on the onboard controller's array

Any help appriciated

Thanks
 
update : I ran Maxblast 4.0 and I think I pinpointed the problem... Maxblast says the Array is not set as a boot device even tough I set it to boot device in the controller setup screen at bootup.

Any idea ???
 
Sunnavabicth !!!! I took the Highpoint controller out of the comp. and now it's working ! I hope it boots after I reinstall it after windows install

...

damnit it doesn't work !
Somehow it gives priority to the PCI controller even tough its set to second boot device

...

Humm just noticed the RocketRAID PCI controller is set as SCSI-0 while the VIA onboard is SCSCI-1 even tough the Via controlled array is set to boot first this might be the problem

How could I have the onboard cotroller set to SCSI-0 (they're not scsi devices) manually setting the IRQ maybe ?
 
Back
Top