Raid, and storage questions

nodle

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok i need a little help or input on what you would do in this situation. Currently I have a about 700gigs of data that is important to me that i would like to backup. At the moment i just do incremental updates from one drive to another drive. For example i have about 300 gigs of data that i back up to another 300 drive, then i have a 400 gig drive that i back up to another drive. Well i am tired of having to do this and just want a simple solution like raid 1 so that all i have to do is copy over the data and be done with it. Now here is my problem all of my drives are smaller. For example:

2x 200gig sata
1x 400gig sata
2x 300gig ide
1x 500gig sata

Now is there a way to implement these to work with some sort of data redundancy so that if a drive would fail all that i would have to do is toss in a new drive? Is raid 5 what i am looking for? I would also like the system to act as a NAS system. I have an extra system that does raid 0, raid 1, raid 0+1, raid 5, and jbod from the motherboard. Is this what i want to use or should i just buy a pre-built nas unit that does raid 1 then buy another 500 gig drive and raid the two and then just keep mirroring my others? I am just trying to keep this as cheap as possible and use what i have. I just hate having all these drives, the easiest would be just buy 2x 750gig drives and raid 1 them but they are kinda expensive at the moment. Any thoughts or ideas? What would you do in this situation?

Back