• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

raid 50? 5? 10? which to run?

LadyJaqie

I Have No Title
Joined
Jun 9, 2002
Messages
1,422
in this thread I explain the hardware I gnabbed lately... which includes 8 working SCSI drives and a hardware RAID card that supports 5, 10, 50, and more... however the drives do not seem to have spindle sync on them. Is that required for raid 50? I would love to run that as it seems to be the best option for me.

What I want to use it for is as an OS partition for my workstation, and store my 'must not lose' files on the 120GB drive I have now in a server system (I also back most but not all to CDRs) I want to run SOME type of RAID just incase one drive goes out, as two already have on the previous owner... but what I want from the array is the fastest heavy multitasking performance I can, less storage is ok. I figure as long as I get about 30GB of actual storage space Ill be fine... maybe running 7 drives and the eigth as a swappable spare?

--opinions?
 
From what I've read (admittedly not enough) I like the idea of RAID 50, if you can use that with the HDs I would.
 
10

since it doesnt entail parity calculations it will be the fastest level
also the most wasteful for capacity, but thats the tradeoff

but go ahead and play with a RAID 50 first to get an idea of what it can do
(if you have the time and inclination) and benchmark it for comparision ;)

BTW nice toys :D
 
I would love to play with RAID-50, but as you know it takes a lot of drives... more than I have ever had controller and drives for :)

But ya, I say whip up a level 50 array, run some benchmarks, then do the same with a level 10. I'd be curious to see the numbers. Oh, and no, RAID-50 does not require spindle sync. The only level I have heard of *requiring* it was something proprietary.
 
Back
Top