• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Raid 5 vs. 3 for media server

Vette5885

Gawd
Joined
Apr 12, 2005
Messages
629
I plan on making a file server with 4x320GB SATA hard drives (I now have 3x 7200.10s, so I plan on using those).The box will be running 1GB memory and P4 2.8/512/533 running at 3.0 (maybe 3.2 or 3.4, I haven't pushed the box enough yet)

It will store both Media (from MP3's up to HD .ts files) and backup files for 3-5 computers. I'm looking to get enough throughput for 2 or 3 HD streams.

I'm thinking of a 5-port raid3 card - but would it be better to run raid 5 over raid 3? What benefits are there? The raid3 cards seem to be cheaper than raid5 - is it worth the extra price?

Thanks
 
First, don't bother to overclock the CPU, it simply isn't worth it for a file server, and stability is more important than CPU speed in a file server. (an 800mhz P3 is fast enough to serve a thousand clients as a file server, hard drive speed will be the limitation)

Second, the only difference between RAID 5 and RAID 3 is that RAID 3 has a dedicated parity drive, while with RAID 5 the parity is distributed across all the drives. But this means that for a file server RAID 5 is much better.

If you want to know why, read this: http://www.bytepile.com/RAID_3_vs_RAID_5_In_HPC.php

But basically, With RAID 3 the parity drive has to be written to for every IO operation, so with multiple IO requests the server is always waiting on that drive. But with RAID 5 the next parity has a chance of being on an available drive so it isn't limited to waiting on one drive for every operation.
 
Back
Top