RAID 5 Take long to rebuild

ecktt

Limp Gawd
I setup my new computer late last night. It's an Asus P5K Deluxe (BIOS ver 311) with 4 Maxtor FH500F0 populating ports 1,2,5 and 6. RAID 5 with 128k strips. About an hour or so , after installing Vista 64 Ultimate (with drivers from the ASUS CD), the drive attached to SATA port 2 appeared to fail. Find this strange for the drive to fail so fast, I power down the system and reseted all the SATA and power cables. Powered backup the system and the drive appears to be fine but when I entered Windows the performance is horrid and the array has been rebuilding ever since (over 6 hrs ago). Is this normal?

Dude, depending on the controller and the size of the array it can take an assload of time to rebuild that array. I've done it on several Ultra 320 SCSI controllers with 15,000rpm drives and it's never been quick. Even with arrays smaller than half a terrabyte it wasn't exactly fast.

On my 7x200GB in software raid it takes about 12 hours, improoved to about 8 hours after upgrading my CPU.

Thanks for the input. This was my first time with sata raid. When i came back from work things were all done. I mostly deal with servers at work and they usually rebuild in 2-3 hours. I was hoping SATA raid might have been close to that but i was wrong.

Back