• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

RAID 5 speeds

Ok, just the fun of it ill check the speed of the bus then ill probably go back to the raid controller and raid10. Would there be a possible speed increase going to raid6 with mdadm or am I looking for too much past the 114 MB speed I've already gotten?

Thanks for all the info everyone.
 
Ok, just the fun of it ill check the speed of the bus then ill probably go back to the raid controller and raid10. Would there be a possible speed increase going to raid6 with mdadm or am I looking for too much past the 114 MB speed I've already gotten?

Thanks for all the info everyone.

I think the bus is limiting you to just over PCI speed. I have recently seen this with a PCI-X card on linux here at work. Also raid 6 with mdadm will not help this.
 
Looks like I'm having another issue. It seems that port 1 on the 9500s is randomly working :-/ Still more testing, don't have much time during the day to test it but that's what it looks like :-/

So on that note, what is a decent cheap pcix raid card, similar to the 9500s that I can replace this with if it comes down to it?

This could explain the problems I'm having with mdadm as well if one drive is partly working where the raid controller (either mdadm or 9500s) doesn't drop it from the array and continues to try to use it.

Thanks.
 
Looks like I had two problems going on when I had the failures mentioned. I had an sata cable that was bad and a drive that was bad. Luckly I'm working on my parent's in law's computer and they picked up a 500 gig sata hdd that will work for the mean time until I can get my own replacement. Strange. Still at 119MB/sec max, that's with write cache on and no BBU :-/ That worries me a bit, this isn't a mission critical machine though.

I'm thinking of scraping this whole rackable server and building my own box. Anyone done that on a cheap cheap budget?
 
I'm thinking of scraping this whole rackable server and building my own box. Anyone done that on a cheap cheap budget?

I have done this a few times. Its pretty easy to make a reliable linux software raid 6 server with good performance for less than $700 (minus the disks). Right now I would be looking i3 2100, Intel motherboard, 8GB of ram, LSI SAS HBA if more sata ports are needed.
 
Agreed, drescherjm. Alternatively, if you don't mind a bit of a learning curve, throw up a raidz2 server instead (either OI, or maybe the zfs on linux stuff.) ZFS brings a lot to the table...
 
Back
Top