RAID 5 setup - advice needed

jfkriege

Weaksauce
Joined
Jun 28, 2006
Messages
91
I am redoing my computer's storage and was looking to put three of the 250gb drives that i have into a raid 5 setup. I know that i can do this through the motherboard (ASUS A8N SLI Deluxe) or i can do it through windows. I would like advice on how to set it up. I was also wondering if i would see any sort of performance increase due to the striping (they are wd sata drives being used for large image files as i am a photographer).I really appreciate any help.

Joshua
 
Don't use non RE WD drives in RAID 5. Search for TLER if you want to know why.
 
Don't use non RE WD drives in RAID 5. Search for TLER if you want to know why.

I've been running WD2500KS in raid 5 and 10 for over a year. ? You'll need to load the raid setup probably from floppy if you're using mobo raid. If you're doing large video files if you can set your stripe size at the largest possible that will reduce the overhead.
 
I've been running WD2500KS in raid 5 and 10 for over a year. ? You'll need to load the raid setup probably from floppy if you're using mobo raid. If you're doing large video files if you can set your stripe size at the largest possible that will reduce the overhead.

Then you are lucky either your RAID controller can handle the 8sec timeout of non RE WD drives, or you have not had an extended error yet and you will have problems when that happens.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1098979&highlight=tler
http://www.wdc.com/en/library/sata/2579-001098.pdf
 
Yeah I saw that pdf white paper when I was looking for what you meant.

OP you need to look at your manual for info on setting up raid your manual. The asus site is being a little bitch and not working right now or I'd of looked it up for you.
 
asus's website always tends to give me problems...anyone else experience this as well?
 
Back
Top