• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

RAID-5 on ICH8r

drizzt81

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Jan 21, 2004
Messages
12,361
Hi,

I "just" finished setting up my RAId-5 array (3x WD5000YS) on my Gigabyte 965P-DS4. I ran HDTach to check whether the STR is 'in line' with what I ought to expect. I was surprised to see that my average read rate was marginally better than on 3 disk R-5 array with old Samsung HDDs on the promise SX4-m:
Intel ICH8r, e6300, 2GB, WD5000YS x3, RAID-5
ICH8r-R5-WD5000YS-3disk.PNG


Promise SX4-M, Celery 325j, 1GB, SP1614C x3, RAID-5
RAID-5%20Promise.PNG


I just ran IOMeter with 64K requests, 10GB file size, 100% sequential reads and had the same results. Let's not even speak of the write rate that IOmeter shows me (<10MB/s)

Could all this be due to me running Win2K3 server x64? I'd love to see what other people are getting as well as suggestions on what could be wrong. Am I wrong to expect read transfer rates close to 100MB/s?
 
HI
i have a P5B-D with the ICH8R Chipset. In HDTach with 4 320gb Seagate Perpendicular drives im raid 5 with a stripe size of 128k, i get 379.1/MB/s Burst, 169.8/MB/s Average read with 13.1ms latency.. Remember these are SATA 3.0 drives and the Perps put out good speeds by themselves..... This is running XP Pro OEM 32bit....
 
hmm.. maybe the default stripe size (64k) was not a good choice.
edit:
ATTO shows this (or similar results, the read is consistent, the write is usually around 40MB/s)

ICH8r-R5-WD5000YS-3disk-atto.PNG
 
64k stripe is usually a fine choice. Did you also use 64k clusters for NTFS? If not, you should consider it. format x: /A:64k
 
Dew said:
64k stripe is usually a fine choice. Did you also use 64k clusters for NTFS? If not, you should consider it. format x: /A:64k
I did not. I will consider that if I reformat it (involves breaking the set to keep my data alive.
 
btw, i used 128k, just because, all i store on the raid 5 is large files, so i figured, the bigger stripe size would work better....
 
Back
Top