On the ICH7R, different 'raid partitions' can be made over drives. My current set up is:
MSI 975X Platinum Power-Up Edition (Intel 975x chipset / ICH7R)
4x 250gb Samsung Spinpoint
1x 500gb Seagate 7200.10
My plan is to split the 4 up into two 'raid partitions' one raid 5 for critical data (o/s, documents) and one raid0 for high-performance data (games, swap files).
My question:
Setting everything up will take a good while. The inquirer reports raid issues with conroe chips.
http://uk.theinquirer.net/?article=32842
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=32818
form-goers claim otherwise
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1073207
does anyone have benchmarks?
GamePC reviews the ich7r w/ the 955x chipset
http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=raid505&page=3
but it doesn't a) use the 975x chipset and b) address these (probably bogus) slowdown allegations.
furthermore, I haven't seen any reviews of "matrix storage technology" from outside of intel. Will making multiple raid partitions cause unreasonable slowdowns/cpu hikes?
Thanks for your input. Assuming noone warns me, I'm going ahead with my plans and I'll post some benchmarks in a week or so.
MSI 975X Platinum Power-Up Edition (Intel 975x chipset / ICH7R)
4x 250gb Samsung Spinpoint
1x 500gb Seagate 7200.10
My plan is to split the 4 up into two 'raid partitions' one raid 5 for critical data (o/s, documents) and one raid0 for high-performance data (games, swap files).
My question:
Setting everything up will take a good while. The inquirer reports raid issues with conroe chips.
http://uk.theinquirer.net/?article=32842
http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=32818
form-goers claim otherwise
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1073207
does anyone have benchmarks?
GamePC reviews the ich7r w/ the 955x chipset
http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=raid505&page=3
but it doesn't a) use the 975x chipset and b) address these (probably bogus) slowdown allegations.
furthermore, I haven't seen any reviews of "matrix storage technology" from outside of intel. Will making multiple raid partitions cause unreasonable slowdowns/cpu hikes?
Thanks for your input. Assuming noone warns me, I'm going ahead with my plans and I'll post some benchmarks in a week or so.

