• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

RAID-5 and Windows Server 2003

Mercurien

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 16, 2002
Messages
231
I currently have a RAID-5 array set up using software raid in Windows Server 2003. I should be able to format the OS (on a separate drive) without losing the array, correct? Would I have to back up any sort of configuration files before doing so? Or just format, install drivers, and hope the array is recognized?

Also, I have the feeling that my motherboard is going south on me. I should theoretically be able to change motherboards without losing the array again, right? Just swap the boards, new drivers, and magically the array is still there?
 
if you are using Win2K3's software raid, it should be recognized by your new Win2K3 install. I have had a (one) bad experience with a dynamic disk not being recognized, but that was a WHILE ago and I do not recall the circumstance, so it may have been my fault at that point.

Nevertheless, it may be a good idea to have a backup.
 
I have reloaded our server at work with Windows 2k3 raid and as soon as the drivers for the controllers were installed, the array auto mounted and works great:)
 
Back
Top