Raid 1 Issue, possible to fix?

hitokiri

Limp Gawd
I have a RAID 1 array in which is using the Nforce 4 mobo chip. I had a hard drive that failed on the array awhile ago which ran in degraded mode and havent gotten around to purchasing a new hard drive to put into the array.

Then today the system rebooted and for some reason my bios had an issue and so I had to reset all my bios settings to the way it was before. All was set back to the way it was, at least I thought so... apparently I forgot to enable the raid in the bios and I just let the system reboot while I went to get a snack. Came back, was in windows and all is good... At this point i'm in windows and not using the RAID but instead using the RAID drive as a regular drive.

Eventually I figure this out and enable the RAID setting in the bios again and this time it shows up as a flashing red "Error" instead of Degraded... Is there a possible way to fix it so I could get back a Healthy or Degraded RAID 1 array with the data all intact?

Thanks

- hito

You put in a matched drive so that the raid controller can mirror the drive as it wants to. Raid 1 needs at least two drives. Raid 1 will be in degraded status when any drive in teh array is dead and/or missing.

Thanks for the reply, however the RAID 1 is now in Error when trying to use it as a RAID drive. This is because the drive went into windows in non-RAID mode. Question is, how would I be able to get it back to degraded mode with the data intact, or healthy with the data intact?

does the error show up in the BIOS or in Windows?
I assume no warranty for this, but you could try:
break the array in the BIOS, recreate it (better have that second drive available) using the full drive as a source.

I would suggest that you make a backup before attempting any of this.

drizzt81 said:
does the error show up in the BIOS or in Windows?
I assume no warranty for this, but you could try:
break the array in the BIOS, recreate it (better have that second drive available) using the full drive as a source.

I would suggest that you make a backup before attempting any of this.

This "Error" starts during the loading of the system and prior to even touching anything windows. Breaking the array and recreating it had bad effects. It would use the blank hard drive and use that has a "template" and try using that as the one to run off of and then I get a boot error. If I try flipping the cables around between the drives so that the system would use the old drive as the "template" it would give me a boot error once again.

Was hoping that it wouldn't come down to this, but I guess i'll just purchase another new hard drive and transfer the files to that drive, then recreate a RAID 1 with my current hard drive and another new hard drive then retransfer the data back onto the newly created array.

Back