RAID 0 vs mSATA

cracknub

Weaksauce
Okay building a new setup (strictly gaming) consisting of a i7-3770K and the ASUS Maximus V Formula. I already have a Crucial M4-CT128M4SSD2.

Should I get another identical drive and go RAID 0? (I am aware if I went this route I would save about $100 that I would put towards my water cooling setup.)

or..

Should I get a Crucial M4 CT256M4SSD3 mSATA 256GB so I could utilize the mSATA slot on this mobo? If I went this route I could open up two drive bays which would help overall airflow.

Pros, cons, or thoughts are greatly appreciated.

SSD's aren't large so it shouldn't be a hugely detrimental on your airflow. My thoughts are:
- If you want more to be on the bleeding edge of performance, go with RAID 0; also gives you more storage
- If you really want to *slightly* improve your airflow, get a mSATA SSD
- If you are happy with what you have, and have to spend money, buy another 680

Whoa I wasn't aware Crucial had 256GB mSATA version of the M4. I think you're better off with the RAID 0 option as there doesn't seem to be much documentation on using onboard mSATA as the primary drive (only documentation on SRT).

also, if anyone knows if mSATA is 3gbps or 6gbps (or uses PCI-e lanes from the chipset), I'm very curious. The Z77 chipset only has two 6gbps connections and SRT instructions say to use one of the 6gbps connections for SRT (making 6gbps RAID 1 HDD configs impossible with SRT unless there is an extra SATA 6gbps controller).

also, if anyone knows if mSATA is 3gbps or 6gbps (or uses PCI-e lanes from the chipset), I'm very curious. The Z77 chipset only has two 6gbps connections and SRT instructions say to use one of the 6gbps connections for SRT (making 6gbps RAID 1 HDD configs impossible with SRT unless there is an extra SATA 6gbps controller).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148613

Watch the video.. Looks like only 3gbps. I guess I'm going RAID 0.

Kind of an apples and oranges question. You're basically asking: "RAID 0 or better airflow?"

2.5" SSDs needn't use a drive bay. You can put them just about anywhere there's a little airflow. You can take some stick on velcro and attach them to the case bottom, top or sides.

Unless your airflow is really constrained, I would get a normal SSD instead of messing with the mSATA one. Like someone else said, just lay the SSD on the bottom of the case.

Ok people.. the airflow comment was just a bonus. I have more than enough airflow. I don't think I made myself clear on the question that really concerned me.

I wanted to know what would perform better. If I should bother with RAID 0 or keep it simple with 1 msata ssd? And if anyone had any experience with using the msata slot for a primary OS boot drive.

2x 128gb Crucial M4's in RAID 0 @ 6gbps

vs

1x 256gb Crucial M4 mSata @ 3gbps

The 2x 128gb M4s in RAID 0 will certainly out-perform 1x 256gb M4 on mSATA. No question, no doubt what so ever.

I have the M4 256GB msata drive, just installed it today, asrock didn't include a screw to install it, so make sure you have one for it.

Planning on running 2012 Storage Server on it.

I have the M4 256GB msata drive, just installed it today, asrock didn't include a screw to install it, so make sure you have one for it.

Are you using it as your primary drive? can you confirm if the drive is internally connected via SATA 3gbps or SATA 6gbps?

Are you using it as your primary drive? can you confirm if the drive is internally connected via SATA 3gbps or SATA 6gbps?
It's Sata II
Probably just to save cost. Although if he's willing to spend 200$+ on a mSATA, may as well spend it on a 256GB 2.5" right?
Exactly! OP, why are you skipping over this option? It's the best one :)

So you're using a 256GB SRT cache??? sounds.....luxurious.

No. Mine is emtpy, but it's just common knowledge that the msata is Sata II. Also, I'm not sure what you meant about the SRT cache. Even if I had an ssd in the msata, it wouldn't have to be SRT cache ;)

You can boot from it, it's not like it being limited to sata II is a big deal. I use it for the OS and an LSI 9265-8i for my storage. Saves me space and I can use all the drive slots for storage instead of wasting one on a boot drive.

Jeez that's gota be a pain in the neck..... Mounting under the motherboard ?

Is that based on the 3gbps/6gbps factor?

Primarily, yes. You're limiting a drive to 3gb/s when it can go faster. Add in RAID 0 on top of that and it's like comparing a Ford Mustang to a Top Fuel Dragster. Both are fast, but one is the clear winner.

Sold on the idea of getting a 2.5" 256gb ssd and will most likely get the Vertex 4.

I'd get the Samsung 830 instead. Just as fast in real world use and none of the reliability/customer service issues you get with OCZ.

I actually don't think OCZ is that bad anymore. Just install the drive as a storage drive first to update the firmware then install the OS on it as the primary drive. Most of the complaints are about destructive firmware updates. The reported problems are probably all due to component incompatibilities. I'm sure if your parts play well for a few months, you won't have failure problems like the negative reviews claim. I think people are still bitter that OCZ was among the first to sell SandForce drives with the BSOD problem. With most benchmarks, the Vertex 4 does outperform the 830. It should be worth trying out.

Stick with a single SSD on a SATA 3 connector.

No sense in offloading caching to a slower SATA 2 SSD or keeping your fingers crossed 24/7 with a finicky SSD RAID 0.

whats finicky about raid 0..

my 2 new corsair 240G in raid 0
o84hB.png

Many people have run raid 0 arrays for months, years with out issues.

JUST keep a backup

Back