RAID 0 Vertex 3 Disapointment

enuro12

Gawd
So my ASUS Crosshair V Formula arrived today. I swapped the components and installed Win7 with ALL default settings in the bios.

I installed all the drivers then did an ATTO benchmark. Nothing to surprising there.
xnKHc.jpg

I thought Raid 0 could nearly double the speeds. But no luck. Can someone explain why? With 2 channels running at 6gbs shouldn't you see nearly 12gbs throughput due to the striping across the channels?
bPbT0.jpg

your motherboard's controller is not capable of going into 1.2gbps most likely.

one vertex drive on its own would only be capable of pulling out 550mb/s, and seeing as your raid hits a dead spot at 650mb/s, I'd have to guess the controller isn't powerful enough or needs some slight tweaking. someone with your board would be helpful here if they had an issue with the controller bottlenecking at 650mb/s.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...took-the-plung-into-SSD-s-again!&daysprune=45

take a look at that thread, she goes 1gb/s on a raid0 on a Asus Crosshair IV with some tweaking. it may be a good idea to take a quick look at her changes and apply them yourself.

Ha! So i'm not crazy!

I thought my understanding of how the controllers and channels work was just wrong.

Because all AMD fake raid controllers absolutely SUCK!!! SUCK SUCK SUCK. Intel isnt a whole lot better.

Hence why I went with a real raid controller my Adaptec 6805.

Anyways all that transfer rate doesnt matter unless you are moving files between two SSD or off computer via a 10gbps ethernet link. Just epeen really. I'd be happier if you were to run Raid 0 just for the expanded storage of having 2 SSDs make one big ass drive over the performance.

Anyways with RAID 0 your IOPS will not change much and that is the most important part about SSDs. The more stuff moving at once as opposed to moving one object really really fast.

just opinion of course.

Thanks for your opinion always interesting i'm sure.

I haven't started testing the 10gbps link between this machine and my monster hypervisor. I do find it mildly entertaining i need to defend a reason for things to work as they should.

My vertex3s in raid 0 are double your first bench.I get anywhere from 960-1000 MB/s write and 1020-1100 MB/s read.

I totally did it for the epeen.

Back