Raid 0 SSD setup

AthlonXP

Fully [H]
Was looking for 2x 480GB or 2x 512GB SSD's for a raid 0 setup. Just wondering what your guys thoughts were on the 840 pro vs the Intel 730 SSD?

I thought about doing a RAID of 2x 480GB drives recently, but I ended up going with a 750 GB Samsung EVO. Best price per GB right now other than the slower 960GB Crucials and RAIDing SSDs doesn't seem to have much real-world impact on performance.

The only SSD I've had to RMA was an Intel 120GB 530 series, that's hardly enough data to base a decision on though. I doubt you'd notice any difference between the Intel or Samsung drives and personal anecdotes are useless for comparing drive reliability.

Unless you have some absurd bandwidth requirements or you already own one of the units there really isn't any reason to go 2x SSD's versus 1 of the total combined capacity.

Unless you have some absurd bandwidth requirements or you already own one of the units there really isn't any reason to go 2x SSD's versus 1 of the total combined capacity.

Unless that 1 larger drive is a lot cheaper than 2 half the size I see no reason to not get double the bandwidth. I just set up 2 of the 240 GB Intel 730 series SSDs in RAID 0 on my desktop and the speed is ridiculous. No way would I trade them for a single 480 GB.

Back