Raid 0 SSD and Intel SRT

heftysmurf

n00b
I have not been able to find this anywhere in the forums or on the web and doubt anybody tried my crazy idea but here you go.

I have two 120GB Samsung 830 SSD's and want to try the following:

Raid 0 the samsungs. Do the trick install of Windows to a regular drive and enable 18.6 gb srt on the array.

Reinstall windows to the Raid array and use the Raid SSD as both boot and SRT for my 3tb raid 0 array.

So what this boils down to is:

Can you enable SRT on raided ssd's?

I'm not sure what your goal is here. Are you saying you want to use a single small 18.6 GB SSD drive to SRT to your raid 0 of two 830 drives? That would defeat the purpose of SRT and probably be slower. Or are you saying you want to partition the raid 0 array and use a portion to SRT the 3TB drive, which I don't think works in SRT btw.

Thanks for the responses guys.

This is what I want to do.

Raid my 830's for but set aside 18.6 GB of the raid array to cache my conventional HD raid array.

A couple of reason why.

1) Faster
2) Do not have to manage two SSD's (i hate deciding and moving apps due to limited SSD space on one or the other)
3) Things that overflow and end up on the conventional HD's will end up being fast if the earn it (ie I run them enough that they end up cached).

I just have looked everywhere and have not seen anybody use SSD's that are raided as SRT cache.

I know you can do SRT with your boot drive if you install OS to another drive, enable SRT on ssd, disconnect HD, install OS to SSD, reconnect HD and than install SRT driver.
I know this is a PITA.

I also know you need the SSD to be in RAID mode for SRT to work.

Is their a limitation I am unaware of?

The access time benefit from SSDs plays a more significant role in computing than increased sequential read benefit of RAID0. I would use one SSD for normal usage, then the other for the caching. It really depends how often and much you actually expect to be reading/writing to the HDD to know if it's actually worth it.

Bigdogchris - That was what I was originally thinking and likely will be my plan.

Dragon - Thanks as I did not want to go through all the trouble and find I couldnt do it because man that is a lot of reimaging.

I still wonder why the limitation as I think real world it would do little but it feels like tech wasted that it is at least theoretically possible.

Because the whole SSD caching is still new and if they gave away easy SSD caching on every motherboard sold they wouldn't be able to sell those $1000 SSD caching RAID cards

Good point. I read an article and they had a review here about SanDisk readycache which I bought for an old system I have. Works great and cheap. Will cache multiple drives and arrays but wait for it ... only comes in 32gb cache size.
If they had 256gb cache size enterprises would buy those for 200 vs a K for the pro version.
Also find it so funny that caching software by itself is rare when it seems silly not to do.

I mean even on a small 120GB ssd why not throw 5 gigs at your 4 TB monster drive for a bit of a boost?

If you really really really want to do SSD caching with RAID0 SSDs LSI and Adaptec both sell cards that can do that... for around $1000 (well for LSI it's like a $250-300 addon hardware key for ~$700 cards)

Back