raid 0 setup

markland556

Limp Gawd
just wondering if there is like a tutorial for setting up a raid 0. I have 2 WD 160gb SATA drives.new computer needs raid :D

Do some reasearch before you jump on the raid bandwagon, most home users won't benifit from raid 0 at all.

Yeah, I was thoroughly surprised to see that the most real-world gain from running a RAID 0 array of WD Raptors was ~30% over a single drive. Not worth the dough and risk of data loss if you ask me.

If you have alot of lan partys and gigabit lan and your friends mooch offa you like mine do me than raid o is worthwile. if you dont have alot of files or dual gigabit to transfer them to all your buds its not worth it. or if your machine is a file server ited probabily be a nice thing to have but if you dont do too many file transfers its prally not worth the data loss risk. oh another thing if you run games off your harddrive instead of using cd's its also nice to have raid 0 it boosts load times quite a bit if your processor is up to the challenge....

Raid 0 is useless at lan parties for sharing files unless you are running gigabit. 100mbit networks transfers at 12Megabytes a second minus tcp overhead. Any modern harddrive can saturate 12MB without breaking a sweat and most people don't run gigabit. Raid 0 still really only helps with single large file reads, multiple people reading at once is going to slow it down considerable as access time suffers alot under raid 0.

*had to edit some, mis read your last post there slightly.

Back