RAID 0 safety

dMb

n00b
well, i'm completely new to the RAID setup, so before i actually get one, i was just wonder how safe exactly is RAID 0? I've got a looot of stuff that i really dont want to risk losing, so is there any higher chance of failure with RAID 0?

Yes, there is a higher risk.. If 1 drive goes bad you loose all your data on both drives,(sans forensic data recovery of course).. If used in conjunction with a good backup regimen it can be fairly safe.. By good I mean backing up to DVD and or removable drive..

Unless you really need the extra speed it is best just to leave raid 0 alone..

Dont put data you cant afford to lose on a RAID 0 setup !
Everyone I know who had RAID 0 has had it fail at least once.
Transferring RAID 0 to another motherboard often requires a complete reformat.

Ive been using Raid 0 for around 4 years now and could never go back. I have never had it fail on me.

I do though reinstall windows about once every month, just to keep it clean, as I love a fresh desktop and well the full install takes about 10 Minutes. I don't keep any sensitive data on my Raid 0, all that data is in a Raid 1 config.

Just get some small drives like Raptor 36gb drives and put them in raid 0, fucking amazing.

Do not put anything you cannot do without on a RAID0 array. That simple. I love RAID0, but All of my imprtant data gets backed up to other internal HDDs and other computers.

Back