Raid 0 Question

j0sh4tran

n00b
Joined
Nov 14, 2005
Messages
6
Hi,

I currently have a 120gb SATA III SSD and needed more space so I was thinking about buying another SSD.

I'm currently in no rush to get another one and am trying to be as cheap as possible.

If I buy a used and slower 250 mb/s write/read SSD and run it with my current SSD, will my performance suffer? I don't care if it's not faster, I just want it to be at least the same.

As far as data loss associated with raid 0, I'm not worried since I keep all my important files on a separate drive.
 
Remember that it would be cheaper to buy a 250 / 256 GB model and sell your 120GB drive.
 
Well, I think it is more expensive and more of a hassle going that route since I found a pretty good deal on a new, but older model actually.

So how much will my performance be affected?
 
I've never considered it advisable to put mismatched drives into a RAID0 array.

Just my opinion, not necessarily technically "bad". Just doesn't seem like a good idea.
 
I would expect a small performance loss in 4K operations but probably not that noticeable.
 
Mixing drives doesn't matter. I don't think any of the perceivable speed metrics will be worse.

That being said, I wouldn't bother with a mix-and-match SSD RAID0 drive. I'd just get however much more space you think you'd need, and operate it as a single SSD. For the drives you're talking about (and my guess on what you are using it for), you probably won't get any real-world benefit, but would have the added hassle of RAID. IMHO, RAID0 SSD arrays are more for benchmarking/bragging rights. If you're already using a single, small SSD, you probably have no use for a RAID0 disk of SSDs over two separate SSDs
 
Back
Top