Raid 0 question

board2death986

[H]ard|Gawd
Alright I have spec'd out a new SFF rig, and I have thoughts about trying a 64bit operating system, but only as a secondary boot option. My setup will include a 74GB raptor and two 500GB which I want to put in raid 0, but I was thinking of partitioning the raptor in half to split for the 32/64 bit OSs, then sharing the raid 0 for installs. . .would this work? I was thinking of just having two main folders in the raid for 32 and 64 bit programs respectively.

As for the question of why do I need a terabyte for game installs? I don't, but for LAN use that would include every game we ever play/played/will play and leeches as well as patches, mod files and some music.

Well, IMHO 35 gig is kind of cramped for an OS install. Specially for magnetic media.

If I was in your position, I would pick up at least a 150 gig Vraptor, split it 80 gig for the 64 bit OS and 70 gig for the 32 bit OS (64 bit is the future.)

The Vraptor will work much better in a SFF situation than a Raptor.

But yes, if you are careful about your installs, the setup you mention should work fine. You will just have to watch the free space on the OS partitions.

Don

You think 35 is cramped? LOL man you have no idea, I have my OS running on a 15 GB partition right now with a few GBs to spare. . . this is for a LAN rig, so it isn't loaded with many bloated apps, just a few of the LAN essentials (xfire, hamachi, temp/network monitoring, imaging, teamspeak and the like).

Back