• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Raid 0 on backup 2 x 160gb?

Fireplay5

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 18, 2005
Messages
251
I am expecting my 74gb raptor in a couple days and am planning on it going for my OS and main program files and games. So I would like to use my 2 x 160gb drives in a raid 0 array for a seperate short term backup. I am not really concerned with data loss because all my files are on hard copy so it is just my intention to take advantage of the higher speed of the raid 0. However, this will be my first attempt at raid and I have a couple questions.

When I put these in the striping raid 0 array is it going to show up as approx 320gb?

Also how would I go about actually putting them in raid? I understand if you raid your OS drive then you need to apply drivers at the beginning of setup. However I assume I will be setting up the OS seperately on the raptor so then I will be left with the two 160gb drives that I will need to raid. When and how do I actually apply the software to raid them?

I understand that they both need to be jumpered as master but is it true that it would be benificial to have them on seperate IDE channels even if they are combined with a DVD drive or DVD-RW drive? I am not sure that is even possible since my case is so large and the distance between my hard drives and my optical drives are not allowing of a single cable to reach both.

Thanks for all help.


 
Fireplay5 said:
When I put these in the striping raid 0 array is it going to show up as approx 320gb?
Not 320GB, but yeah.

When and how do I actually apply the software to raid them?
Disconnect the 160's and install on Raptor, reboot, connect 160's, setup RAID in MB BIOS, wait for Windows, supply driver after login. It's just like any other device.

I understand that they both need to be jumpered as master but is it true that it would be benificial to have them on seperate IDE channels even if they are combined with a DVD drive or DVD-RW drive? I am not sure that is even possible since my case is so large and the distance between my hard drives and my optical drives are not allowing of a single cable to reach both.
Doesn't matter if they're primary or slave because that's defined at the controller level.

Best bet is to have them on their own controller in a PCI slot but whatever works for you. Twenty bucks at Newegg. Search for "Syba" and look at the two port 0680 based card.
 
Back
Top