Raid 0 for ssd's worth it?

Recently purchased 2 corsair neutron gtx 240s and I am debating on raid 0.

Would it be better to just use one for OS and have the other setup for games/music?

Put the rest of the info about the system in there before you get a heap of opinions not relevant to your setup.....

I would say no. SSD's are already fast as it is. I also think that Trim with windows does not work with raid. (not sure if this is still true or not) Raid 1 maybe good since you have a backup of your data. 2 drives always cost more then 1 drive unless you can find a good deal. This is my best guess.

Trim does work with newer RST and RSTe drivers for the Intel controller for Raid 0. I've installed and tested last weekend on my X79 chipset. However, besides benchmarks, it probably depends on what your using you computer for whether you'll "feel" the difference. One thing worth mentioning though is Windows itself will boot quicker when installed on 1 SSD vs 2 in a Raid 0 array because the controller has to initialize the array during boot.

Completely depends on what you are doing with the system. If you're just gaming and browsing the web, no. If you're reading/writing files that are dozens of GB in size, yes, it would help.

This is my opinion, but I'd never personally consider RAID'ing SSD's unless I absolutely had to. They are ridiculously fast as is in both access time and throughput. Plus you don't have to deal with possible TRIM issues by doing RAID and dealing with all the shit that RAID can give you sometimes. I'd just use the second drive to store whatever other files don't fit on the main drive (games, music, movies, documents) and keep on rolling.

Possibly, though this is likely dated impressions, SSDs may slow down as they go near full capacity (above 50-70%). A RAID0 array would have "more" capacity to fill, and function faster.
Though I think this applies more to 60 or 120 GB drives.
May be just my impression, anyone know?

Back