• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

RAID 0 as an aftertought?

Mr.Green

n00b
Joined
Aug 10, 2004
Messages
14
Hey guys,

I'm currently running a single Seagate 160gb SATA drive with 2 partitions in my system and I'm thinking about getting a second drive to use in RAID 0 to double storage space and especially boost performance.

Do I have to start from scratch or will I be able to keep all the data I have on the first drive?

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Newcastle on an ASUS K8V SE Deluxe mobo. (2 Raid controllers on board, VIA and Promise) I'm using VIA.

Thanks!
 
You would have to rebuild everything. You may also want to read some articles, starting with mine, and then the Anandtech one linked at the bottom of mine. RAID0 doesn't give you any real world performance gains. On the flipside, your stability goes down, because if one drive dies...ALL your data is gone.

http://www.geekpc.net/raid.htm
 
Yeah I googled a little after I posted this. I pretty much figured I would have to start from scratch and the performance gains I saw weren't worth the trouble.

Thanks djnes :)
 
Also never think of Raid 0 as storage space. If you value any data. Do not leave it on Raid 0 setup. Burn it off or use a third drive for storage.
 
Back
Top