"Raid 0 Array Error" - Overclock causing this?

hobag

n00b
So i've been getting "Raid 0 Array Error" messages recently. When the system POSTS it also flags one of my raid drives in red with "error detected"

I've gone into the Intel Storage utility and cleared the fault/error and it went away for a while, and then yesterday it came back - Explorer stopped running, and I couldn't use ctrl-alt-del, but the mouse was still movable, but nothing was clickable.

When I restarted, the system boot into Win7 x64 fine, but I got loggerd out of all my frequented forums including [H] and I had to re-login to everything. Not big deal, but just stating the symptom.

Could this be caused by my OC? Or do you think my HDD has a bad sector...or worse?

Ive been getting these error on my raid as well. I haven't had any symptoms other than the error occurring. I did what you did and went into Intel storage matrix to clear it. For me, it was problem solved.

It's happened twice in about 3-4 months.

It happened to me recently and it was due to one of my drives developing a bad sector.

It got to the point where it would happen at every boot.

I resolved it by repartitioning my drives to leave a 'dead zone' where I suspected the bad sector was (near the start of the disk roughly in the middle of my first partition that has windows on it). That fixed it completely.

I tend to tinker about with my PC while it's on and have knocked the drives more than once so I'm not in the least bit surprised one developed a fault. :p

The only way OverClocking shoudl affect your raid setup is it A. Your OC is highly unstable or B. Your Pci bus is OverClocked.

I tend to agree with compudocs and spine, your HDs are suspect for trouble. Me, I would be making a full backup and running some manufacturer's diagnostics. The drive(s) should be automatically locking out marginal and bad sectors. At least I think they should if the OS is not crap, and for sure they will if you reformat them. (just for the heck of it make sure your cables are all tight and secured).

You might be able to find software that shows you the "locked" out bad sector tables. If so, watch it and if the drive continues to "grow" bad sectors its time for the trash.

Thinking about it, if you have the room, the very first thing I would do is break the array and change it to a raid 1 (mirror). That backs you up and should make it easier to identify which drive is causing the issue.

It would not hurt to back off the OC a bit but I doubt it would help. One way to find out...

You can DL the latest UBCD here. and under the hard drive dianostic tools run HDAT2. That can find and block off bad sectors but is not a permanent fix if your HD is detereorating. IF however it is just a bad sector or 2 then they will be blocked off and all will be well.

You can DL the latest UBCD here. and under the hard drive dianostic tools run HDAT2. That can find and block off bad sectors but is not a permanent fix if your HD is detereorating. IF however it is just a bad sector or 2 then they will be blocked off and all will be well.

Thanks for that. I just got another one today. Seems like its every time i move my PC.

Back