Raid 0+1 problems

DJMoney69

n00b
Joined
Jan 24, 2006
Messages
10
Hey. I have 4 Maxtor 250GB HD's in a 0+1 Raid. Was having issues with the Raid setup degrading and now in Windows when rebuilding the array it only gets to 65% and stops rebuilding. Once in a while my system will crash or freeze and I think it is related to this. It hasn't degraded since, but I am still left with the array never 100% rebuilding in NVRaidman although it says all 4 drives are healthy.

How do I determine which drive is faulty without losing everything?

Jon
 
update:

disconnected one drive at a time. ports 1, 2, and 3 all blue screened not even making it to the windows screen. Port 4 didnt even get to that point. Stopped at the boot stage asking I put in a system disc. Now it seems like 4 contains the OS.

I have it set up 1+3 and 2+4. so since it blue screened when #3 was removed should I go after that one because that should be the mirror of #4 (which seems to be working properly)?

I have another identical drive (brand new) that I can throw in. Just dont want to lose all my data and im not sure how to figure out which one is bad since the mediashield in windows claims all 4 drives are healthy.

Also, I have this setup partitioned into 2. one for the OS (about 48.8 gig) and the other for storage (about 418 gig). When I run error-checking under tools for the C:\ with scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors checked, it goes through no problem. When I error-check the G:\ it either crashes or freezes. I get the same results when I run HDTune error scan usually resulting in a freeze.

Is there any other way to figure exactly which drive(s) are causing te problem??? Thanks in advance.
 
I'd say get out of Windows while testing your drives and arrays, could be a corrupt OS at this point.
 
Another thing I just noticed was the drive in position 3 makes a slight tic noise for a while until mediashield gets to 65% and stops. I never heard this before until I had the side cover off on the case.

I'm gonna try and swap my new drive into that slot and see if it fixes itself. If it doesnt then I'll look into starting over I guess.
 
What programs should I try using out of windows?
Even though I have NF4 RAID myself, I haven't looked into any bootable tools they may have to work on their own on a bootdisk. I'd check their site, as I will myself.
Another thing I just noticed was the drive in position 3 makes a slight tic noise for a while until mediashield gets to 65% and stops. I never heard this before until I had the side cover off on the case.

I'm gonna try and swap my new drive into that slot and see if it fixes itself. If it doesnt then I'll look into starting over I guess.
Ticking isn't good of course. Hopefully the replacement solves the problem.
 
Back
Top