Rage sucks

Looks like they pulled a Crysis on us, very typical nowadays. The facts are I will never trust another game again, until devs start going back to PC first mentality. I will write everything off as console port, console first now, unless it's an indy developer.

Wow, I've never seen so much hatred. It's almost like he/they (JC/Id) ate your babies. Sometimes I think some gamers are as much a problem as the industry is. The sad but painful truth.

No, the truth is that gamers are id's customers--id software's *only* customers. When you're in business you either please your customers and stay in business or you don't and you go out of business. What has happened with the RAGE release seems fairly obvious if not completely predictable ...

Is this the kind of response you'd expect to see on day one of a triple-A PC-title release? No--it isn't. It's far from it. And that's because id released a B-movie production-quality title, with a story so weak, contrived, and cliched, and with bugs and texture configuration problems so severe that you know there's *no way* id software tested the PC version before shipping it (but you also know that id *had* to test it with nVidia and Ati 3d cards during development because not to do so would be tantamount to gross negligence of a kind rarely seen form id software)--that a person just stands back and marvels that id software had the distinctly poor taste to ship this game in the state it in which it shipped.

That's what has people so understandably worked up: people *know* id is capable of a lot better effort but just doesn't seem to want to put those kind of efforts forward any more. Many people pre-ordered the game because of id software's reputation and were trusting id to deliver the goods. And as you know, many people were very disappointed with RAGE, and that is an understatement. The Internet today is simply buzzing with reviews of the game falling somewhere between bad and awful. Not good, id.

id has never been a "great" game developer, for certain. And the company is known for producing decent 3d game engines which other, far more imaginative, creative, and talented companies use as a foundation for the blockbuster PC titles they ship. But it has been a long time since I can remember id shipping something in this obvious a neglected condition. To ship a game for the PC with this kind of texture popping is inexcusable--it really, really is. It is unprofessional to the max precisely because with a bit more time and attention id could have shipped this game working as intended.

What's got still other people *really* upset is the fact that it's pretty darn obvious that id knew exactly how this game was going to run on a PC long before they shipped the PC version of the game. I mean, there is just no earthly way that id software doesn't have *many* current ATi and nVidia 3d cards in house which are used for game development and testing--that's simply common sense. But we also know, now, why id never bothered with a PC demo ahead of this release, don't we?

In these trying economic times, $60 is no laughing matter to a great number of people. When money is tight, people have to make decisions about buying games that involve skipping some titles for the sake of being able to afford others. So when people lay out their hard-earned cash to buy a new game from a well-established developer like id, they are expecting that title to be commensurate with id software's long history of game development. OTOH, nobody expects id to ship a game positively overflowing with *popping textures,* do they?

What you are seeing in this thread is not "hatred" at all, and calling it "hate" (for some reason) won't change a thing. These are unhappy *customers* talking to id. Like E.F. Hutton says, "When id software's customers talk, id had better listen!"

No, the truth is that gamers are id's customers--id software's *only* customers.

Gamers, but not just PC gamers.

And they statement is flat out false anyway. All the devs that license ID's engines are customers too.

God this is concerning.....Rage in not out in the UK till Friday....the problem with texture popping is due to the texture streaming they use.

I will be installing my game to a raid0 of 2 ssds with combined read speed of 400MB/s so I hoping I don't get such problems.

Anyone run this from an ssd getting texture popping problems?

Well that is a real bummer, Cormack was saying that the worst experience as regards texture streaming would be on console running from a dvd or bluray due to slower texture streaming and that the better experience would be from a hard drive install. I thought running from a raid0 array of ssd's I'd have been pretty safe on that front.

Looks like they pulled a Crysis on us, very typical nowadays. The facts are I will never trust another game again, until devs start going back to PC first mentality.

As this is how it shall be from now on. Developers and ESPECIALLY publishers don't give one flying fuck about the PC, except as a research platform for upcoming console projects or hardware.

Guess I'll be picking this up when it's in the bargain bin. For $1.99. Be sure to send Tim Willits your thanks by sending him your biggest pinched loaf in a box.

Last edited:
I'm guessing the popin is more a memory management issue and should be fixable.

Still not gonna buy till it's all fixed though...

Oh,well,I thought maybe this might be a game that would provide some diversion while I wait for STALKER 2,but I think I'll pass. Luckily I haven't played my copy of Fallout:New Vegas yet.

Game runs great for me. Updated to new nvidia beta drivers, added a few console tweaks and, boom, runs like a dream. I understand that many people are having issues, but I can't say I share in the hate; although, I had some tearing before I updated drivers.

My cvars on my launch shortcut:
+cvaradd g_fov 12 +com_allowconsole 1 +com_skipIntroVideo 1 +image_anisotropy 16 +image_usecompression 0 +g_showplayershadow 1 +m_smooth 0

Runs at 60 fps, at 1920x1080, with AA at 4x, AF at 16. Sure, there is some minor texture popin in some areas, but nothing I worry about. The lack of high res textures in some internal areas is fine by me (ie. the phone on the desk), it kinda works like a Bokeh, and keeps what is important in detail. Otherwise, the game runs smooth as butter, and looks awesome.

I am not disappointed.

System:
Core i3 550 Clarkdale
8 GB GSkill
MSi motherboard. nothing special.
nVidia GTX 570 1280 MB 320-Bit
1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM 32 MB buffer
32" LG screen

i tried this. looks better. i would recommand it.

As this is how it shall be from now on. Commercial Publishers and Developers and ESPECIALLY publishers don't give one flying fuck about the PC, except as a research platform for upcoming console projects or hardware.

Guess I'll be picking this up when it's in the bargain bin. For $1.99.

That's also because most commercial publishers and developers don't know what the PC market IS to begin with. Most publishers and developers narrowly define PC to mean: Windows Xp / Windows Vista / Windows 7. In doing so they only use development tools that allow them to produce on those platforms.

One reality most publishers and developers have not come to terms with is that the gamer x86_PC market is fragmented across GNU/Linux, Apple Bsd_Mach/OSX, Windows Xp, Windows NT6 (vista/7), and eventually NT6.5 (Windows 8). There are pretty good reasons why independent developers like Notch have achieved cult-like status these days instead of the corporate drones behind the latest Call of Duty or Battlefield. There are also pretty good reason stuff like www.humblebundle.com is headline material.

There's also pretty good reasons that the shooter market ID and Epic pretty much created back in the 90's has splintered off into creating their own games with projects like: Alien Arena, Nexuiz/Xonotic, Red Eclipse, Cube2, Warzow, Tremulous, and so on and so forth.

Until commercial publishers and developers come to terms with the idea that they don't define the market they sell into, the customers define the market, then what those commercial publishers and developers have defined as the PC platform will continue to be a dumping ground for misunderstood titles. The good news is that the situation is slowly changing. Valve, perhaps king of the PC development crowd these days, keeps teasing shots of Source games and Steam running on Debian-derived platforms. Valve at least seems to understand that their customers determine the markets Valve sells to.

Now, as to Rage itself, I have not played it. I don't have $60 to drop on a single video game right now, and ZeniMax has issues with providing copies of their games to Linux Journalists. So I am a bit of an outside observer to just what exactly is wrong or right with the Rage game itself.

My gut opinion, reading this thread among other online interactions, is that ZeniMax probably pulled a similar action to what 2k-Games did with Duke-Nukem-Forever and just told ID-Software to get the game out on the store shelf rather than continue spending resources on developing the game. Better to have a half-assed product on the store shelfs and the developers working on something else, than continue to dump resources into a project with no hope of a return-on-investment.

That being said, if that is what has happened, somebody at ZeniMax should have had the bloody sense to not attach a premium price-point to Rage.

I suspect that a lot of the complaints voiced in the forums would have been quieted if Rage had shipped with a $30 or $35 price point. It might not be that good of a game, or that much of a game, for $60... but would you really say that it wasn't at least worth trying if it was half the cost on launch?

Well after a very short time (only played a half hour, too tired to do more right now) Rage is interesting. Gunplay feels alright, but something seems off somehow. I can't pin down exactly what though. Maybe it will get better. Textures are just bad. A few of them remind me distinctly of Fallout 3 level textures, but the game over-all looks good. The ATV controls feel fine, nothing to really complain about there. Kind of fun listening to John Goodman so uhh point to the voice acting? No bugs to report, but hey it's only thirty minutes, so there is plenty of time for them to show up.

After actually trying out the PC version at a friends apartment I have to say this is one of the most consolized ports I've ever seen. What a fat fucking pig they've left this state in.. its barely functional and runs like total garbage. I can't even believe that not one half way intelligent tester didn't manage to convince team management that it wasn't ready for release on the PC. I'm man enough to admit I was wrong , this game deserves no defense on my part anymore.

I hope that at some point in the future Carmack gets hit over the head with a shovel by a future self that invented a time machine just to assault himself in the past for this huge embarrassing effort. Id at one point in time was the pinnacle of PC gaming development.

Now they are licking cockroach shit from the bottom a dumpster. I'm going to just bury myself in Dark Souls and pretend today didn't happen.

Last edited:
We made that dirtbag company and now he shits on the people who made him.. PC gamers.. He's a fucking sell out to console gaming....

Doom 3 was bad enough that I have not even kept track of Rage. Then again the first screen shots were nothing special. Carmack has given up developing games for the love of gaming, he now develops games for the dollars they can bring in.
It would not surprise me if Rage 2 was already in the planning stages.

Now they are licking cockroach shit from the bottom a dumpster. I'm going to just bury myself in Dark Souls and pretend today didn't happen.

The night I bought Dark Souls I thought about getting Rage for PC but decided I'll rent it for PS3.

I'm sad to hear the game isn't living up to expectations. I haven't played it yet, but the internet reaction overall seems to be mostly negative to mixed, with the glowing positives in the minority. But I'll have to see for myself. A lot of people thought Doom 3 was mediocre to poor, but I thought it was excellent but not quite the same game as the originals. I'm still looking forward to Doom 4.

Dark Souls is awesome btw. I'm also sad to see PC gamers on this forum dismiss it because it's on console. A big title PC game hasn't delivered like Dark Souls (living up to its hype) in ages.

I'm curious to know how many people have decided to torrent this game instead......

i posted some screenshots on the high res pics of how my rage look like

@kzaske well carmack said that if rage doesn't flop they would like to make a sequel.

FYI the latest AMD driver fix introduces the texture grid bug people saw in Brink earlier this year to this game... well done.

The night I bought Dark Souls I thought about getting Rage for PC but decided I'll rent it for PS3.

I'm sad to hear the game isn't living up to expectations. I haven't played it yet, but the internet reaction overall seems to be mostly negative to mixed, with the glowing positives in the minority. But I'll have to see for myself. A lot of people thought Doom 3 was mediocre to poor, but I thought it was excellent but not quite the same game as the originals. I'm still looking forward to Doom 4.

Dark Souls is awesome btw. I'm also sad to see PC gamers on this forum dismiss it because it's on console. A big title PC game hasn't delivered like Dark Souls (living up to its hype) in ages.

People who are dismissive of Dark Souls are passing up probably one of the most challenging and most fun games I've played since I was a kid. Its not story focused , its game play focused and its dripping in it. Seeing all the possible strategies to approaching the game in general its mind bending. It'll take a nice long time for me to get through it.

Last edited:
I thought Quake 4 was gonna be awesome and it was the biggest let down.

Not sure I could handle the poo that will be Quake 5.

You know it's funny you say that because I'm playing through Quake 4 -today as a matter of fact- and it's singleplayer for the first time since I bought it about 5 or 6 years ago. It's really bland and the only reason i'm finishing it is because I bought it and the story is semi-interesting. After mostly playing through Quake 4 and the last iteration of Doom, I don't know what to say about id anymore.

People who are dismissive of Dark Souls are passing up probably one of the most challenging and most fun games I've played since I was a kid. Its not story focused , its game play focused and its dripping in it. Seeing all the possibly strategy's to approaching the game in general its mind bending. It'll take a nice long time for me to get through it.

I know, and i grit my teeth when people say who cares it's only on console, or my favorite, Dark Souls is just hack and slash, I prefer to play l33t PC RPGs like S____. They need to try it. It may look like hack and slash but if you try to play this game like typical button mashers, you will get destroyed.

So what's the main problem with Rage ? Crappy low res textures ? Or is the game just boring ? I read the world doesn't feel open at all.

This is very depressing, and for so many reasons, that many here so eloquently have already outlined.
Those screen shots are the last drop.

Here is me trying to cancel my Steam pre-order (out on the 7th in the EU) in a very naive move that I have the feeling Steam will not honour. It´s going to be hard to take id serious ever again, after all these well informed opinions, screens and general game issues have been exposed.

This will be the last time anyone takes Carmack seriously at all anymore. Hes a console sell out. Consolitis shill. His long streak of poor quality games after Quake 3 is not ending now and it probably never will.

My Newegg pre-order should be arriving later today. Not sure if I should return it or not.....

You know it's funny you say that because I'm playing through Quake 4 -today as a matter of fact- and it's singleplayer for the first time since I bought it about 5 or 6 years ago. It's really bland and the only reason i'm finishing it is because I bought it and the story is semi-interesting. After mostly playing through Quake 4 and the last iteration of Doom, I don't know what to say about id anymore.

Quake IV is by Raven, not id.

Steam *HAS* been known to refund money for games that have had VERY bad reviews. I forget the last major game where Steam even made a post saying it would honor refund requests, but it was a couple of years ago....possibly in 2009...but whatever game that was, I remember it being virtually unplayable...

I know, and i grit my teeth when people say who cares it's only on console, or my favorite, Dark Souls is just hack and slash, I prefer to play l33t PC RPGs like S____. They need to try it. It may look like hack and slash but if you try to play this game like typical button mashers, you will get destroyed.

So what's the main problem with Rage ? Crappy low res textures ? Or is the game just boring ? I read the world doesn't feel open at all.

Where to start , texture poping , poor performance even with tweaked beta drivers , stuttering/slow down during any enemy encounter in doors. Its just not worth it for $60. At most I would rent Rage , I almost bought it ... thankfully I decided that I didn't have the money to waste so I waited for a few reviews and watched the Steam forums to see how the game was being met by gamers who are generally ruthless on that forum. As ruthless as HardOCP can be at times the Steam forums are like grinding chainsaws on a steel beam.

Perhaps in the future I'll consider buying it on sale and properly patched.

How could IGN give this a 10 on graphics and say one of the best looking games? rofl...

His long streak of poor quality games after Quake 3 is not ending now and it probably never will.

They only had one game after Quake 3 (Doom 3). Not exactly a long streak, and despite the monster closet style I quite enjoyed it and so did the majority of reviewers (it's got an 87 on metacritic, after 83 reviews).

I'm not saying I'm thrilled with Rage - I think if the ultra low resolution textures aren't a bug with the autoconfig system, then it's a startling oversight and a big disappointment for people who wanted to see the next greatest engine from Carmack. Even he feels they made a mistake developing for the consoles and porting to PC, so he's recognized this isn't the way things should be done.

I'm not having any of the issues everyone else is with textures not appearing/graphical artifacts, etc, so I can enjoy the game. I've only played a few hours and while it hasn't exactly blown me away (it ain't game of the year), it seems pretty solid.

Fail thread is fail. Carmack could have vomited into a DVD case and you would have bought it, everyone here knows your stance on Rage, couldn't you have trolled one of your existing threads instead?

TY Sir for making me laugh for at least an hour. I haven't laughed that hard in about 5 years. Truth in your statement is what makes it so hilarious.

What bugs me about rage is the fact that this is a very poor way to showcase a new engine. PC players are now turned off. Console players don't care. They for the most part are conditioned to sub par performance.

Back