Rage, 3DS Lead E3 Game Critics Awards

Maximuss

Gawd
Best of Show
Nintendo 3DS
(Nintendo)

Best Original Game
Dance Central
(Harmonix/MTV Games/Microsoft for Xbox 360)

Best Console Game
Rage
(id Software/Bethesda for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360)

Best Handheld Game
God Of War: Ghost of Sparta
(Ready at Dawn/Sony Santa Monica for PSP)

Best PC Game
Portal 2
(Valve)

Best Hardware
Nintendo 3DS
(Nintendo)

Best Action Game
Rage

Best Action/Adventure Game
Portal 2
(Valve for PC / Mac, PS3 and Xbox 360)

Best Role Playing Game
Star Wars: The Old Republic
(BioWare Austin/LucasArts/EA for PC)

Best Fighting Game
Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate Of Two Worlds
(Capcom for PS3 and Xbox 360)

Best Racing Game
Need For Speed Hot Pursuit
(Criterion Games/Electronic Arts for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360)

Best Sports Game
NBA Jam
(EA Canada/EA Sports for Wii)

Best Strategy Game
Civilization V
(Firaxis/2K Games for PC)

Best Social/Casual Game
Rock Band 3
(Harmonix/MTV Games/Electronic Arts for PS3, Xbox 360, and Wii)

Best Motion Simulation Game
Dance Central
(Harmonix/MTV Games/Microsoft for Xbox 360)

Best Online Multiplayer
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
(Ubisoft Montreal/Ubisoft for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360)

Special Commendation for Graphics
Rage

Source

Rage doesnt look that good to me, i dont know why its just "meh".

SWTOR, Civ V, Rage, Portal 2, and the Nintendo 3DS?

This is going to be another great year for gaming.

Rage doesnt look that good to me, i dont know why its just "meh".

I saw the Rage demonstration at E3. Gameplay aside, it is very very impressive. It never ever once hitched or stuttered or slowed down, ever. The fact that it was a running a constant 60fps with such high visual quality, and on a frigging XBox, is some kind of black magic, its a little crazy.

Anyway, we'll see how the game shakes out. It seems like id is trying out some new things but it still boils down to the same shooter mechanics. The only FPS that really turned me on this year is Portal 2, and that's mostly because its gameplay is completely unique.

I have had an eye on rage since last year. It looks fantastic to me. I cant wait.

So what exactly does it mean? You can make a game like just cause 2 with less work? From the descriptions, the features seems to be aimed more at developers.

From the descriptions, the features seems to be aimed more at developers.
I think that's sweet: give the developers better tools and hope they make better games. It requires so much time/effort these days to push out a AAA title, and technology is just going to get more and more complex, so we need people like John Carmack to tame the wild beast (so to speak) and inspire other developers to not go too messy or spend so much time fixed on graphics.

At least, that's how I see it. The games itself may or may not do anything for you, but you gotta appreciate the evolution id seems to continually encourage amongst the gaming community, even if it's indirectly to you the gamer.

You know, I gotta say, I'm quite impressed about all the RAGE talk after the show. Granted I didnt really follow it much during the show, this is quite promising. Gonna have to see what all the hula is about at Quakecon.

Nintendo 3DS is highly deserving of Best of Show, though.
Probably the only thing that made me pay any attention to this years show. Cant wait to get my own.

That's a pretty big "aside".

The quake games were more known in the gaming industry because it essentially defined how games are made. Their structure is a baseline template that's still being used by pretty much every FPS game to this day.

That's what everyone is looking forward to on the Rage engine.

That's fine, if you thought any of the Quakes were worth a damn. For multi-player sure, but for single-player id have never had designers who could keep up with their (excellent) engine technology. I'm not expecting anything different from Rage.

That's fine, if you thought any of the Quakes were worth a damn. For multi-player sure, but for single-player id have never had designers who could keep up with their (excellent) engine technology. I'm not expecting anything different from Rage.

You missed the point by a mile.

So what exactly does it mean? You can make a game like just cause 2 with less work? From the descriptions, the features seems to be aimed more at developers.

It actually requires significantly more work. Every single texture is custom, so a lot of the development has basically been throwing tons of artists at creating and texturing the levels. There is nothing procedural about it, unlike most other open world games, and it is a huge reason why its taken so long to make this game.

Last edited:
That's a pretty big "aside".

Well, I'm going to reserve judgement on gameplay until I actually play the game. It seems as though id is trying new things with their game design, but the shooting sections themselves seemed pretty generic. That said, most single player shooters bore me now, almost all are the same thing. The only thing in the FPS genre that caught my attention this year was Portal 2. My lord that looks so original and cool and fun, can't wait to have it.

I do have to say again, seeing Rage run in person on an XBox 360 was shocking. I have never seen a game on any platform, PC included, run at such a high level of visual quality without ever ever stuttering or hitching or dropping below 60fps. Its pretty amazing. As with other id games, I'm crossing fingers that the gameplay at least kind of stacks up against the visuals.

Back