Radiators - Locktite on screw threads?

Sneak

Limp Gawd
Am just wondering if it is advisable to put some locktite or thread sealer on the screws when installing just for a bit more holding strength and security Anyone ever had one come loose?

I've not had any come loose but a drop on each screw can't hurt if it would help you sleep better.

Plumbers tape should be more than enough to ensure a good seal between the threads. That and a good elbow torque wrench :p

Now I got all paranoid. I went and checked. Still snug like they should be on all the systems. ;)

Thanks guys! I never thought of plumbers tape. Have that and Loctite. I guess I will just use a dab of one or the other. The Loctite may look better. I have an elbow torque wrench as well. ;)

Thanks guys! I never thought of plumbers tape. Have that and Loctite. I guess I will just use a dab of one or the other. The Loctite may look better. I have an elbow torque wrench as well. ;)

Guys, is "elbow torque wrench" a term used in the UK? I live in the USA and I'm just not familiar with that term.

"Elbow grease" is the term I've heard used in the UK... to denote a bit of hard work.

"Elbow grease" is the term I've heard used in the UK... to denote a bit of hard work.

We also use the term elbow grease in the States, same meaning.

I googled on "elbow wrench" and found some websites that sell them, but NO PICTURES!!!:confused:

I just use barbs with an rubber o-ring. Hand tighten and then a slight turn with a wrench but not too much. Shouldn't be able to twist it with your fingers but should turn easily with a hand tool.

I use rubber o rings and plumbers tape. Don't think loctite is a great idea, don't want that stuff floating around your loop and clogging your radiators channels

Last edited:
I use rubber o rings and plumbers tape. Don't think loctite is a great idea, don't want that stuff floating around your loop and clogging your radiators channels

How do you size the rubber 0 rings?

How do you size the rubber 0 rings?

Most modern connectors that are designed for computer cooling loops come with 0 rings.
It's a good seal on the threads and air tight with the 0 ring properly installed.

Any decent-quality fitting will come with an O-ring. Teflon tape helps ensure a seal in the threading as well.

Any decent-quality fitting will come with an O-ring. Teflon tape helps ensure a seal in the threading as well.

$2~5 per fitting to replace the crappy ones many components come with is worth the peace of mind
http://www.dangerden.com/store/fb-fat-boy-g-1-4-fittings.html

i think those are the ones i bought. been way too long to remember. be sure to get the correct thread count for your components.
http://www.dangerden.com/store/thermochill-fat-boy-g-3-8-fittings.html thats the other thread size

i also do the old tried and true 3/8ths tube over 1/2 inch barb with boiling hot mug of water. pita to need to literally cut tubes off of fittings. but its quite a bit of peace of mind to not actually need worm clamps on the hose, and use them anyway. better then being paranoid about leaks

plastic fittings in plastic housing's such as res's doesn't bother me assuming its the really large version of the barb. and the barbs have o-rings. i tend to extensively test plastic parts of water loops before use anyways, and i tighten the barbs so tight that they wont wiggle loose, ever

Last edited:
Back