Radiators leaking at the fitting thread

Two of my three radiators are leaking. I assume it would only be a matter of time before all there were affected, so I'd like to figure out what's wrong and resolve it.

The radiators involved are a Swiftech MCR220, MCR320, and MCR320 stack.

The stack has been plugged and is being used as a normal radiator.

I'm using 7/16" ID 5/8" OD Bitspower compression fittings. At first I though the issue might be that the threads are recessed, and the fittings' diameters might be preventing the o-rings from making a good seal. I used some Bitspower G 1/4" extensions, thinking that they might be small enough to clear the lip around the recessed threads, but the problem persisted. Perhaps they're still too large.

Another thought I had was that the threading may differ. If I'm not mistaken, the Swiftech radiators are NPSM, rather than G 1/4". However, I've never had a problem before. Maybe using NPSM to G 1/4" adapters would solve the problem.

My last thought is that my o-rings may be worn out. They do appear to be a bit discolored, so a complete o-ring replacement on every fitting may be in order.

What are your thoughts, everyone?

You may want to install the fitting with some teflon tape to get a better seal. While you doing that, take a look at the fittings and see if they are worn or cracked at all. If they are, it would be a good idea to replace them.

Yes I had the same issue on one of my Rads and good ole teflon tape did the trick. I changed all my barbs to compression fittings. That way If I have to make any changes to the loop or whatever I dont have to worry about the fittings coming lose. Some Tube is a bit hard to get off of barbs.

Back