Radiators and Airflows in SG05

cennis

Limp Gawd
Hi everyone,
I am doing a mod of my SG05 to fit 2x240mm(CPU)(GPU) rads (1)
or 1x240mm(GPU) and 1x140mm(CPU) (2)
PSU will be external
Dont worry too much about clearance issues of the rad as they could be externally or internally.

SG05 image for reference
CA-160-SV_46051_350.jpg

For either designs I prefer doing exhaust for the radiators as I do not want to pull in warm air onto the tubing /mobo/ram/gpu back plate

(1) 240mm on the top, 240mm on the side (opposite site as the PCIE slot externally mounted)
intake will be 120mm front fan + 120mm back fan (modded into where the psu was)

(2) 240mm on the top, 140mm on the front.
intake will be 2x120mm or 140mm on the side, 1x 120mm on the back (where psu was)

TLDR;
(1) more rad space, less intake than exhaust
vs
(2) less rad space, same intake as exhaust

Last edited:
Everything is possible with heavy modding. But then it won't be a SG05 anymore. :)

you could mount as many rads as you want as long as you dont mind it being external lol..
im just wondering do I need to match intake and exhaust or go for all rads and little intake

Not only positive pressure, but radiators perform best with fresh air than with case air. In large enclosures, case air is often similar to ambient air. But in smaller rigs, case air quickly gets to a higher temp, not so good for rads.

Not only positive pressure, but radiators perform best with fresh air than with case air. In large enclosures, case air is often similar to ambient air. But in smaller rigs, case air quickly gets to a higher temp, not so good for rads.

I know you have a few watercooled SSFs so I would like your further input.

I know that rads are good with fresh air intake but the warm air will end up heating up my mobo vrm and GPU vrm/backplate and also all the tubing which will recycle heat back into the loop.

I also know that case air quickly becomes warm which is why I wanted to have a equivalent intake vs exhaust(rads) so I suppose the cool air first cools the VRMs, and pass through the tubing then eventually out the rads.

my real question is do I need to balance intake and exhaust to keep a steady air flow,

or should I just get as much rad exhaust as possible and less intake?

or as much rad intake and less exhaust?

Positive pressure is always good. Set them all to intake.

Furthermore if I set all fans/rads to intake then all the hot air will be stuck within my case?

... then all the hot air will be stuck within my case?

This is where most people making a thinking-mistake. :)

Fans are just moving air from one place to another. "Exhaust" fans don't pick out only the hot air, and somehow leave the cold air inside. "Intake" fans don't just cool the rad and ignore the warm air from your MB, VRMs, etc.

If there's propper ventilation, all the air will get pushed out.

Exactly. The case is small, even a single 120mm fan can completely refresh the air in the case several times per second.

This is where most people making a thinking-mistake. :)

Fans are just moving air from one place to another. "Exhaust" fans don't pick out only the hot air, and somehow leave the cold air inside. "Intake" fans don't just cool the rad and ignore the warm air from your MB, VRMs, etc.

If I set intake of cool air and exhaust through rads, then my case will never "have hot air stuck in it". More accurately, no hot air passing through it ever.

On the other hand, if I do an intake rads then definitely the hot air going through my components will make "(the heat from) hot air stuck in my case"

Exactly. The case is small, even a single 120mm fan can completely refresh the air in the case several times per second.

That is true but what Im saying is whether a 1x120mm intake fans is enough to feed air to 4x120mm rads exhaust

If I set intake of cool air and exhaust through rads, then my case will never "have hot air stuck in it". More accurately, no hot air passing through it ever.

This is maybe possible in a large case, where you can direct airflow from intake to exhaust without passing too many hot components.

But in a small case, exhaust fans will transport whole air volume of the case, multiple times per second. Any components that are producing heat by radiation will heat the air. Then, in a kind of feedback, the radiators will be cooling the CPU/GPU a little less effectively, and those components will radiate more heat, which in turn passes again through the radiators.

On the other hand, if I do an intake rads then definitely the hot air going through my components will make "(the heat from) hot air stuck in my case"

I promise you, after you put PSU, rads, fans, tubes, wires and other components inside, the SG05 is left with 4-5 litres of air space. Nothing will get stuck, hot spots will be from radiation only. Transport of heat from convection will be highly efficient.

Very different from 60 litre mid tower case where it's much harder to refresh all air.

But, please, test it and let us know. I have done w/c in the SG05 and FT03-mini with only single 120mm rad. I'm saying my theory based on that experience, but it can be different dynamics with more radiator area.

That is true but what Im saying is whether a 1x120mm intake fans is enough to feed air to 4x120mm rads exhaust

I'm reading again your first post, and I'm wondering if you mean that there will only be only one intake fan, the radiators without fans exhausting by pressure: you will need a very strong, fast fan.

So I think you need two strong fans (high torque, ignore airflow and static pressure ratings) at least. And close up all auxilliary vent holes in the SG05, or the torque is wasted.

Then if you can test both situations. Measure all temps when they are set to intake, swap them around and measure again when they are set to exhaust.

This is maybe possible in a large case, where you can direct airflow from intake to exhaust without passing too many hot components.

But in a small case, exhaust fans will transport whole air volume of the case, multiple times per second. Any components that are producing heat by radiation will heat the air. Then, in a kind of feedback, the radiators will be cooling the CPU/GPU a little less effectively, and those components will radiate more heat, which in turn passes again through the radiators.

I promise you, after you put PSU, rads, fans, tubes, wires and other components inside, the SG05 is left with 4-5 litres of air space. Nothing will get stuck, hot spots will be from radiation only. Transport of heat from convection will be highly efficient.

Very different from 60 litre mid tower case where it's much harder to refresh all air.

But, please, test it and let us know. I have done w/c in the SG05 and FT03-mini with only single 120mm rad. I'm saying my theory based on that experience, but it can be different dynamics with more radiator area.

I'm reading again your first post, and I'm wondering if you mean that there will only be only one intake fan, the radiators without fans exhausting by pressure: you will need a very strong, fast fan.

So I think you need two strong fans (high torque, ignore airflow and static pressure ratings) at least. And close up all auxilliary vent holes in the SG05, or the torque is wasted.

Then if you can test both situations. Measure all temps when they are set to intake, swap them around and measure again when they are set to exhaust.

Thanks for the reply,

To clarify, I meant 1 intake fan + 4 exhaust fans on radiators.

all intake and exhaust will have fans, nothing is solely based on pressure.

will the 4 exhaust fan(on rads) somehow suffocate since theres only 1 intake fan?

They won't suffocate. The intake will spin faster and any extra air would be pulled though any open vents.

If all rads have fans, then that's about 4 litres...

I am putting the PSU outside of the case, and at least one out of the 2 240mm rads will be mounted externally, on the side, but still taking air from inside the case. the other one may be able to fit within the case

I wanted to fit all rads internally without psu but the sides are not really big enough to mount a 240mm internally due to ram height

Do you have the case already? Or any of the components? Since you are putting some things outside the case, what is the biggest footprint you are considering?

I have the case and the components, I want the smallest footprint possible so rads either internally bascially of flush against the sides externally

only the top face have space to allow a 240mm rad internally.

the side faces will either interfere with the top rad or the ram sticks so it has to be on the outside.

I am consdering the top (thick) rad /fan externally, as if I push it down into the case it basically touches the cpu block and there will be probably less than 2L of air space in my case

Back