Radiator stack - theory

Momo

Gawd
Hey all,

I'm going to be using a bracket to mount an AIO water cooler to my GPU.

Eventually, i'd like to try SLI or Crossfire.

In order to cool the second GPU, i'd have to get creative in mounting the the second AIO radiator i beleive, as i've already got a dual radiator AIO cooling my CPU.

... has anyone experimented with putting one relatively strong static pressure fan inbetween two radiators?
[airflow out <---(rad <- fan <- rad)<--- airflow in]

or similarily set up with more fans?
[airflow out <---(fan <- rad <- fan <- rad <- fan)<--- airflow in]

I know that in theory the temps for the GPU cooled by the second raditator to get the air are going to be worse... but what does that matter? if the temps for the first rad/gpu are super low to begin with under load (lets say 55c) then the second one will only be what, 70c? 15c delta? 20c delta?

Cheers to the [H]!

For the most part, stacked radiators didn't perform as well as single radiators during testing. Probably the reason that Swiftech discontinued their line of stacked radiators. I believe it was Skinnee who did testing with stacked radiators.

thanks for the reply.

I know that they won't perform as well. That seems obvious. I guess my question is how much worse. If it's like 30c hotter, i don't know if it'll work, for example.

Is it simply the change in air temp after the first radiator that will be the increase in second GPU temp over the first GPU temp when under load, and the temps have hit their cieling?
Is there any reason NOT to do this though? in this particular situation, i mean.

You'd need to double the airflow to get the roughly same amount of cooling. If you don't mind some noise, put the highest power/pressure fan you can find between them. I suspect the idea is generally avoided as most people turn to watercooling to eliminate noise.

Back