• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Radiator Placement & other quick questions

jreffy

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 25, 2006
Messages
300
Hey everyone,
I'm about to start work on my first water-cooling system and I'm piecing together the system myself. I've done a LOT of research and I'm just trying to hammer out the final details. I'm thinking I want a dual 120mm fan radiator. along with the MC655 DC pump, and the TDX CPU block, and still debating a GPU block. Anyway, question time...and thanks in advance for reading and responding.


1) Radiator Placement; I understand how radiators work and I know that I want to put my radiator inside my case along the back wall of the PC underneath my power supply. I have a Lian Li PC70 so there's a crapton of room. I'm modding out the case and I know I want to put the rad inside the case, but I see a lot of WC setups with the rad on the outside of the case. Does it really matter?

2) Radiator/Fan Placement; Obviously, is it better to push the air through, or pull? Is there significant improvement when you use a shroud? Oh, and one thing I don't quite understand. Do most people take the air from inside their case and move that through the rad? Wouldn't it be better to move the cooler air from outside the case through the rad? Which is the better setup? I understand if I use the outside air, I'd be then heating that air with the rad and pumping it INTO the case...probably not the best idea, but on the other hand, would I get more effective cooling using the outside air? I'm stumped.

3) I plan on using the Masterkleer 7/16 tubing for my 1/2" connections. Is the seal you get from boiling the ends and pushing them on the barbs DEFINITELY good enough without the use of hose clamps?

4) The correct system loop setup is pump-->rad-->CPU-->GPU-->res-->pump?? I don't like going from my CPU to the GPU, does it affect my system if I use a T in my line to split the flow to both blocks at the same time and have them rejoing in the reservoir?


That's it, again, thanks in advance for reading and responding...
 
1) As long as there arn't many sources of heat inside the case, there will be little difference between having the radiator in or out. Most users only place it outside the case due to room constraints.

2) Pulling vs Pushing has very little noticable temperature differences. Pulling air is alot quieter though! As for cold vs warm case air, I agree, pulling cool air in through the rad which is then exhausted into the case will have lower CPU temperatures, but puts other compnents at risk. Lots of other things in the case, especially if your NB or GPU isn't on the WC loop will suffer.

3) yes, Generally the seal is enough. I run my TDX block with no worm clamps (because i hate how they look) and the Masterkleer tubing. I get no leaks, and I still have to CUT the tubing off (with an exacto knife) to get it to release!

4) That's a complicated question. It's generally agreed that as long as your loop goes Pump to CPU the rest of the order wont matter. Whether or not this actually does anything is subject to debate. I once had my CPU as the last thing in my loop before the pump inlet, my temps were 5'c higher than when I re-arranged it to go Pump - Cpu - etc.

There are mixed opinions about the Tline thing too. You'd want to use a Y connection rather than a Tline. This will yield better temperatures on both the GPU and the CPU, yet, at the same time you risk a couple of scenarios. If the restriction on both the blocks isn't identical, the flow rate between the two will not be a full 50/50. This causes problems, but I cant find any evidence to support them. Maybe another user can chime in here.
 
I wonder if I can run some ducting from maybe the top of my case down through to the rad, then put 2 fans outside the case to pull the air through. Or push, whichever looks better, there's soooo much room in this damn case.

Now if I do run a "duct" system, I'd also need to make sure I include fans to push the ambient air out of the rest of the case. I'll have to do some thinking about how big this ducting would have to be, it might clog up my case a bit too much.Of course, if I'm pulling in fresh air, I probably can get away with a smaller rad.

Anyone know of any presedence for this? Or at least have some opinions or ideas on how to pull this off effectively?
 
Back
Top