Radiator modification???

Status
Not open for further replies.

cornelious0_0

[H]F Junkie
Hey all just got what should be a quick question for ya...

Is it possible to cut into the tank of a radiator and seal it off to create a fillport directly in the radiator? The reason I'm thinking it should be possible is looking at Swiftech's H2O-120 Compact system.

Swiftech H2O-120 Review @ Anandtech

Swiftech has essentially done the very same thing with that kit, except my positioning of the "cap" would be different.

I'm looking into whether or not it would be possible to watercool my Shuttle internally, and if I could cut a fillport into the rad on the backside (so the "cap" is facing up when the rad is mounted with the barbs pointing down) then I could get away with that and the Apogee Drive...essentially a modified version of the H2O-120 kit.

Aside from work needed to cut and seal a hole in the radiator I just need to know if this is theoretically possible so I can start looking into the process itself.

Yes it's possible.

My Thermochill 120.3 has a small screw type drain. This can be used either as a breather or a drain itself. As long as it's plugged tight then it won't affect the radiator's ability to cool. Unless of course you screw it up and puncture the fins.

One thing is also to be careful to remove all the metal and/or copper shavings are fully flushed out of the radiator before use. I don't think I need to explain why ;)

Sorry guys but this topic is long irrelevant now...I've been spending a LOT of time thinking over my plans for my next build and I'm going in a completely different direction...i'm just gonna get the thread locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back