• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

RADEX fan is LOUD

TekieB

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Sep 27, 2003
Messages
1,228
This thing sounds like a leaf blower, but a bit quieter (more the tone of it) does anyone know if it can be changed out for another fan, or should I be ok just unpluging the fan?
 
It's chaintechs version of abit's OTES. It's on my Chaintech Znf3-150 Link 1 Link2

I would assume that disconnecting the fan wouldn't hurt anything. But I figured I would ask and see what you guys thought, or if anyone else had this problem.
 
You could probably unplug it and it'd be fine, or else just find a better 40mm fan. I can see from the design there one reason why it's loud though. Poor airflow design.
 
Chaintech should have used a larger fan. I may be biased though, since I only use 120mm case fans.
 
Originally posted by Mad_Pyro
Chaintech should have used a larger fan. I may be biased though, since I only use 120mm case fans.

That'd be a worthwhile comment if 120mm case fans had to do with chipset cooling.

Take that fancy fan grill off and see if it helps the noise, or find a quieter 40mm, or find a nice big passive cooler for that...
 
Originally posted by ElektronikSeraph
That'd be a worthwhile comment if 120mm case fans had to do with chipset cooling.

Take that fancy fan grill off and see if it helps the noise, or find a quieter 40mm, or find a nice big passive cooler for that...

That'd be a worthwhile comment if the RADEX cooling system had anything to do with chipset cooling.

it's MOSFET cooling.

hence the usually higher OCs on this board then on other Socket754s.

try a better 40mm fan (and let me know how it goes!, i got this board as well, but unfortunately school has prevented me from being able to finish building my comp yet :( )
 
Well, I pulled the fan and it was quiet, but I took the 40mm fan I had handy (thermaltake RAM cooler) and it's doubble the size, so my options are:

A) find a 20mm fan from a laptop or something

B) Duct a 40mm or bigger onto the input of the RADEX

What would you say and does anybody know where to get a 20mm fan?
 
Try taking off the shroud, you probably dont need it venting to the outside of the case. Realistically, because they already have heatsinks on the mosfets, you can rely on the excess airflow from your CPU fan to cool those heatsinks. Get rid of that 40mm.

The shroud and the rear venting is just to make hype anyways, just like the OTES. It always sells to put a fancy name on a useless yet flashy item.

20mm fan? Jesus that is tiny. Probably pushes .05 CFM :D
 
You should be able to find some 20mm fans on digikey or mouser. I have a feeling that it's that loud because they needed the cfm, so going to a 40 or a 60 might be the better option.
 
Back
Top