Radeon VII Undervolt results, with and without washers

Captindecisive

Limp Gawd
It took longer than I wanted it to, but I finally got around to getting results for a 950mv (949mv in wattman) undervolt with and without washers installed.

System:
CPU: ES Intel Xeon E-2176G w/ Noctua NH-U12S
Mem: 2666MHz Kingston HyperX 32GB
Mobo: Gigabyte C246-WU4
Video: BBA Radeon VII
Case: NZXT H710i - Rear 140mm @ 60% - Front x3 120mm @ 45% (all fans running ~1100rpm)
PSU: Seasonic 850w Prime Titanium

Ambient temps ~72-75F

Video card settings: Stock GPU and Memory clocks, 949mv, +15% power level, custom fan profile

Custom fan profile: 30C = 7%, 50C = 25%, 72C = 45%, 94C = 68%, 105C = 80%

It rarely hits 70C on GPU with these settings and the sound profile isn't bad either.

Of note: Before the washers the junction temperature would frequently and quickly reach 115c in a Furmark test and throttle the GPU clock (1100-1500MHz) for 1-2 seconds to drop junction temp down; after the washers it would never cross 106c and maintain clocks indefinitely (ran for 2 hours).

In real world testing, the difference was minimal at best, I did notice while playing Monster Hunter that I would see fewer frame stutters after the washer install, likely due to junction temps, but performance was essentially unchanged. This was experienced in all games I play.

This first sheet is the test with no washers installed on the mounting bracket and has 2 consecutive runs of 3D Mark TimeSpy stress test 20 loop - Column A starts the first run and column N starts the second run:

This second sheet has the exact same testing and same ambient conditions, this set has the washers installed on the mounting bracket:

Last edited:
I've considered it, but I don't really have a reason to at this point. I'm playing everything in 1440 over 100fps, so I'm not concerned with a few more frames here and there for the extra heat/power consumption that comes with it.

Back