Radeon Vega Frontier Edition Benchmarking and Interview with AMD

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
AMD's Vega Frontier Edition shown off to PC World with gaming demo at the end at 1440p (no frame rates shown), which should not show you any real world gaming differences from Team Green, and that is exactly what Gordon had to say. Even though AMD has pushed Vega off a month from its original release date, they are still saying we will see the professional cards later this month at Siggraph.

Check out the video.

AMD's Radeon Vega Frontier Edition may be a graphics card made for science (specifically, workstations), but gamers are just as eager to see what it says about the consumer version coming soon. The company's already made a splash this year with its Ryzen and Ryzen Threadripper CPUs. To show how the Radeon Vega Frontier Edition could do the same for workstations, AMD officials gave us a hands-on preview of one of the first production cards.

Interesting video. I'm really skeptical about the performance of the incoming consumer level Vega GPU's. There just hasn't been anything shown that they will be competitive with high-end Nvidia cards, and they've had a long time to make this happen. Maybe that's not their focus, but I just want to see some competition at the high-end.

I dunno, I'm not really understanding this FE now. It's not the gaming focused card, it's their workstation card, but the gaming and professional Radeons will be detailed at Siggraph. Is there a difference between this card's purpose and the RadeonPro's?

for all that are intrested if the card mines better then 80mh/s it will make up around the price differance between the consumer card and the pro card in the differance between release time.

Remember when one of the plus points of HBM was smaller sized cards? Just wondering if the pcb is made intentionally long to support the air cooler with a mostly blank pcb underneath...Still doesn't explain the water cooled version looking like its the same size as the air cooled one.

You have to admit, teasing the card a day before it's claimed launch is just admitting it.

Still weirdness about what they compare it against. Every official comparison they do is against a Titan XP running workstation tasks.

Why are they doing this?

What a strange video. They took the time to grab that guy from AMD to talk about the card but clearly all PcWorld was interested in (hell, me too!) was the gaming performance of the card. Its just weird to me what the hell AMD is doing at this point.

Titan isn't optimized for those tasks though, that's why it's weird. They should be comparing against Quadro.
Still weirdness about what they compare it against. Every official comparison they do is against a Titan XP running workstation tasks.

Why are they doing this?
As far as I can tell, the Vega Frontier Edition is not a professional workstation card. It is missing proper driver support to accelerate professional applications. Amd says they are releasing the pro version later http://pro.radeon.com/en-us/vega-frontier-edition/
Therefore, it doesn't really compete against quadro, but competes against other "prosumer" cards like titan.

edit: also forgot. Palatov DPCARS.NET !!!

It is missing proper driver support to accelerate professional applications.
That's the funny part: it has driver support but will lack the cerification. I.e. you should not expect support using it in workstations, but drivers will work.
Therefore, it doesn't really compete against quadro, but competes against other "prosumer" cards like titan.
To which it looks like it will lose in gaming and may even lose to in compute in some circumstances.

Interesting video. I'm really skeptical about the performance of the incoming consumer level Vega GPU's. There just hasn't been anything shown that they will be competitive with high-end Nvidia cards, and they've had a long time to make this happen. Maybe that's not their focus, but I just want to see some competition at the high-end.
They said in the article they played a few games on it and the TitanXP and couldn't tell the difference leading them to believe they were right when they said between a 1080 and 1080 ti performance.

They said in the article they played a few games on it and the TitanXP and couldn't tell the difference leading them to believe they were right when they said between a 1080 and 1080 ti performance.

Yeah, at 3440 x1440 and playing games that tend to run very fast even on mid-range hardware that's already out. Also, I'm concerned about the consumer line, not this prosumer card.

As far as I can tell, the Vega Frontier Edition is not a professional workstation card. It is missing proper driver support to accelerate professional applications. Amd says they are releasing the pro version later http://pro.radeon.com/en-us/vega-frontier-edition/

But this is again AMD selectively choosing benchmarks.

Pascal Titan = GTX 1080Ti = almost half the price of air-cooled Vega. There's not even a significant ram size difference between the two!

Vega is faster, but is it $500 faster?

And no, there are still half-a-dozen 1080Ti cards in stock at Newegg for $700. The mining craze hasn't hit that high.

In gaming, I still expect Vega to have GTX 1080 performance or less. Still not finding much of a justification for this card at Titan or higher price levels.

Are they calling it the "frontier" edition to piggy back off of Nvidia's "Founders edition"?

could be good or bad, when AMD goes into their holy shit hype mode for a product vast majority of the time it ends up failing.. so we'll see what it ends up being, myself i'm not going to expect insane performance advantages over nvidia but who knows maybe it'll bring out some features that make the cards stand out over them.

Are they calling it the "frontier" edition to piggy back off of Nvidia's "Founders edition"?

wouldn't surprise me but it sorta fits into what they're trying to do with the card. either way founders edition is a weak attempt to piggyback off the F2P gaming pre-order(founder) market. only you don't get any perks out of it like you do when you help support the development of those games.

Last edited:
These cards will sell like hotcakes if and only if:
a) they are solidworks realview certified
b) they actually compete with quadros

Even the derpiest Quadros have absolutely destroyed any firepro produced in the past 10 years at solidworks realtime rendering. Granted, solidworks is not the only fish in the sea, but the firepros do not fair well at creo or NX either.
If this card can compete with a quadro p5000 or p6000, it will sell like cray.
Workstation cards are stupid expensive. $1200 is really not that bad.

Why are they doing this?
Because in workstation tasks it loses to a P4000, aka a 105W GP104.

Most likely, just as they copy Intel. Also seems its the single only card that will hit 1600Mhz. The MI25 is 1500Mhz for example.

Which loses to a Pitan in non WS tasks... it all depends on the market they are aiming for which doesn't seem pure compute.

Another hint is the MI series cards. Their entire marketing is based on "more flops". Not a single benchmark.

Incorrect. Deepbench.

The ones I refer to is this.

The reason is DeepBench is too easy to mislead with.
https://software.intel.com/en-us/ar...nce-for-deep-learning-and-getting-better-fast
https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2016/08/16/correcting-some-mistakes/

Even AMD cant get their numbers right in different slides.
AMD-Radeon-Vega-Frontier-Edition_Performance-1480x833.png

AMD-Radeon-Vega-Frontier-Edition_Tesla-P100-1480x833.png

AMD-Radeon-Vega-Frontier-Edition_Footnotes.png

"AMD’s Vega performance was evaluated against Tesla P100 which was using an older driver."

Its really no different than trying to use pro accelerated cards against gaming cards.

Last edited:
Of course. I'm sure it will be an absolutely terrible card, right?

The ones I refer to is this.

The reason is DeepBench is too easy to mislead with.
https://software.intel.com/en-us/ar...nce-for-deep-learning-and-getting-better-fast
https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2016/08/16/correcting-some-mistakes/

Even AMD cant get their numbers right in different slides.

"AMD’s Vega performance was evaluated against Tesla P100 which was using an older driver."

Its really no different than trying to use pro accelerated cards against gaming cards.

So its not a workstation gpu?I was holping to see some maya benchmarks as i wanted this one vs a p5000.
No one is saying anything about the radeon pro duo(polaris one)that uses 2x wx7100.When does it come out?

Back