Radeon R9 or GTX 780?

tsdc

Limp Gawd
Just bought 2 video cards in a package deal...

PNY GeForce GTX 780 3GB CC Graphics Card VCGGTX7803XPB-CC

ASUS Radeon R9 290 Graphic Card R9290-DC2OC-4GD5

I'm building a small ITX home theater/storage/gaming PC (only a 1080p TV)... Looking to use the Coolermaster Elite 130 case.

Which card do you guys prefer? And what's a good asking price for each of them (selling whichever one i don't use)?

Last edited:
Performance is practically same. I'd go 290 because 10BPC support outside of DX apps if you ever run it on a 10bit setup.
Asus also probably a touch quieter under typical workloads. PNY has those thin ass high speed looking fans.

Maybe next time get a blower for SFF. My personal preference anyways.

I'd go with the 780 for TDP reasons. Could always undervolt it if performance is good enough and/or you have heat issues.

Last edited:
290 hand over fist for sure. GCN ongoing support too. As well as the 10bit mentioned earlier.

The cards are roughly the same performance wise. If i were you I'd sell the PNY 780 because you can probably get more money out of it of the two and ASUS will honor the warranty on the card even though you aren't the original buyer (I don't think PNY will)

Performance is practically same. I'd go 290 because 10BPC support outside of DX apps if you ever run it on a 10bit setup.
Asus also probably a touch quieter under typical workloads. PNY has those thin ass high speed looking fans.

10 bits per colour has almost no impact on PC users, a red herring.
You first of all need the media then a display to use it on.
There is no media.

The 290 is the better hardware if the op doesnt have problems with AMD drivers.
I had to ditch my 290x because the drivers pissed me off so much.
But everyones setup is different, I would choose the 290 if I knew it wasnt going to shaft my head.

I'm saying this after having a truly shit time at the hands of AMD.
You have both cards op, see which you prefer.

10 bits per colour has almost no impact on PC users, a red herring.
You first of all need the media then a display to use it on.
There is no media.

The 290 is the better hardware if the op doesnt have problems with AMD drivers.
I had to ditch my 290x because the drivers pissed me off so much.
But everyones setup is different, I would choose the 290 if I knew it wasnt going to shaft my head.

I'm saying this after having a truly shit time at the hands of AMD.
You have both cards op, see which you prefer.

10 bit is huge in the anime viewing world, and I mean HUGE. Users go way out of their way to ensure they get 10bit versions.

Thats pretty niche, but fair enough.
Worth mentioning for the anime fan.

Although NVidia hardware also does up to 12 bit.
I know because my AV system supports it and I get the option for 10 or 12 bit.

Thats pretty niche, but fair enough.
Worth mentioning for the anime fan.

Although NVidia hardware also does up to 12 bit.
I know because my AV system supports it and I get the option for 10 or 12 bit.

I know Maxwell allows it but I think I remember reading the the 780/keplers did not do more than 8bit. Again getting most of this info from the Anime people. They are feverent about their players and video playback quality. Entertaining read.

Based on personal experience, both of those cards are pretty big for a 130 case. Just a suggestion, but you could sell them both, and buy something smaller / cooler. Depending on how demanding your game library / screen resolution is, maybe a 970, 380x, 380 / 285, or 960. Older games would run fine on a 960.

Back