Radeon Linux driver problems...

jaffy

[H] Custodian
I am having some major problems getting the ATI drivers to work in Linux. I have tried 4 different versions, and keep getting the same result. I am using the driver for XFree 4.3.0 from ATI. com. First, I tried to use Mandrake 10.0. I could compile the drivers, but could only get 2D to work, no 3D. I then tried Mandrake 9.2 and 9.1. Same problem. On 9.2 I tried downgrading to XFree 4.3.0, the version the drivers were made for. Exact same result. No 3D. The error message says that there was an error, and that 2D will work, but 3D wont. After installation, I went to the ATI control panel, and it said the card was in PCI mode. Lastly I tried RedHat 9.0, with stock XFree 4.3.0. EXACT SAME RESULT! I never had any problems with NVidia's linux drivers. I did exactly what the instructions said. Anyone have any luck getting these to work? I will try just about anything! Everything I am doing is being done on the system in my sig.

I had a similar problem using Gentoo. Some suggesting using AC kernel sources. Worked for me. Worth a shot if you don't mind recompiling your kernel.

Some suggesting using AC kernel sources
What is an AC kernel? I am new to the Advanced side of Linux. I have been using linux mainly to surf the web and play games for a year or so, but have not done much else. Thanks for the help!

Originally posted by saturnine2
What is an AC kernel? I am new to the Advanced side of Linux. I have been using linux mainly to surf the web and play games for a year or so, but have not done much else. Thanks for the help!

AC = Alan Cox. He is one of the kernel hackers from kernel.org

What he is suggesting you do, is download a vanilla kernel, and patch it using Alan's latest patch. Then, you can recompile, and all should be well again. :cool:

Yep, what he said ;) . Sorry I was not more specific. Kernel patching and compiling is really a bit of a long topic to try and post (besides, I'm really no expert!). This link may get you headed in the right direction though.

Link

Well, I compiled the new kernel, 2.6.0 on my Mandrake 9.2. The kernel works great, but when I try to patch it using "zcat patch-2.6.0-test1-ac3.gz | patch -p0" I get the following error:

can't find file to patch at input line 4
Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option?
The text leading up to this was:
--------------------------
|diff --exclude-from /usr/src/exclude -u --new-file --recursive linux-2.6.0-test1/arch/alpha/kernel/irq.c linux-2.6.0-test1-ac3/arch/alpha/kernel/irq.c
|--- linux-2.6.0-test1/arch/alpha/kernel/irq.c 2003-07-10 21:12:59.000000000 +0100
|+++ linux-2.6.0-test1-ac3/arch/alpha/kernel/irq.c 2003-07-15 18:01:27.000000000 +0100
--------------------------

I can't find this error message referenced anywhere. Any ideas? I am about to sell this 9800pro and grab a 5900 ultra for linux compatability. ATI's drivers SUCK.

Is the ac patch really necessary for the radeon driver? I think I used the 2.6 radeon driver at one point and I know I wasn't using an ac kernel(I'm pretty sure I was using mm). In the kernel config, be sure to enable agpgart and the radeon driver. Also enable dri. Then in your XF86Config-4 set your driver to radeon.

Well, I found out what the problem is. I dont have agpgart working properly. I've given up running games through Linux on this machine. I've been scouring some forums, and it seems that the drivers suck, even when they're working. People are getting low frame rates and crashes all the time with them. Thanks for the help everyone! I have learned a bit more about Linux while working through all of this.

Back