Radeon HDMI audio question

Cloud 69

Gawd
Joined
Jan 10, 2002
Messages
759
With the latest Radeon cards is it possible to use the HDMI for just audio and use DVI for the video? My receiver doesn't do very nice things to resolutions that aren't 1080/720/480.
 
With both an HDMI and a DVI cable plugged in your system will think you have two monitors whether you do or not. Ran into that by accident at a LAN this weekend. I tried to use the HDMI cable for my monitor so I could take advantage of the speakers if I needed to, but it left my screen with 1" of black space all the way around, switched to DVI and changed inputs and all I got was a blank background, system thought the DVI was another monitor and set it up as the second one.
Had to scrap the HDMI altogether.
Maybe I could have figured it out, but it was a LAN, fark the troubleshooting....
 
It works fine this way. I've done this before with both a sapphire 4850 and my asus 4890. Make sure you have the latest drivers of both catalyst and the realtek HD audio. It recognised my Onkyo TX-SR705 as a receiver. and my Westy LVM-37w3 as the monitor. I had no issues whatsoever.
 
So with an HDMI cable going from the GPU to the monitor (that has speakers), it will let the monitors have sound? Is the sound optical or analog? I know HDMI can carry sound through it, but I don't see how the output gets sent to the GPU in any way, especially if everything is done through my sound card.
 
So with an HDMI cable going from the GPU to the monitor (that has speakers), it will let the monitors have sound? Is the sound optical or analog? I know HDMI can carry sound through it, but I don't see how the output gets sent to the GPU in any way, especially if everything is done through my sound card.

Radeons have their own sound chip, and your onboard or other sound cards get disabled. The 5xxx cards all support truehd/dts which is awesome, because previously that wasn't possible any which way w/o a special card.
 
Wow! That's pretty impressive, however I don't think I'm going to be replacing my Claro+, recently dropped quite a lot of money for that..
 
Back
Top