Radeon HD 4850 - Which brand?

After some reading up on current GPU's have decided on the ATI Radeon HD 4850.

However I see that there are several brands of these available (Sapphire, ASUS, Palit, Viper etc..) and I can't really decide on which would be a good choice for this?

I read somewhere else that the Palit had an "artifact" problem so maybe will not be getting that but can't really decide on which one of the others out there to go for? Is there something to look for before deciding on which brand or would it be better to go with the "best deal"?

Appreciate any insights.

Thanks for the info and links.
I had googled for this but didn't get anything much (must get into the habit of searching here before posting from now)

I got a visiontek because of the warranty.I would say depending on your case and airflow will be what determines what brand to get.

Many like the VisionTek, Sapphire, Gigabyte and MSI 4850 versions.

VisionTek - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814129112&Tpk=visiontek 4850 512mb

Sapphire - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102759&Tpk=Sapphire 4850 1GB

Gigabyte - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125238&Tpk=Gigabyte 4850 512MB

MSI - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127370&Tpk=MSi 4850 512mb

For me personally, I do like the Gigabyte one. Due to the Zalman cooler, and the actual card is RoHS Compliant. Many favor a specific company due to the customer service/warranty/rma process, though. VisionTek would be second for my favorite ATI company due to the superb warranty.

All the matter of personal company favorably really. All cards are basically the same, just the matter of how the company treats you is what the customer likes. :cool:

I would go gigabyte unless you plan on having that card for a long long time (where you might actually use that lifetime warranty)

btw I like Diamond :) (memorys of my viper 770ultra)

I seen this thread when it was first posted and had the same question cause im in the same boat lol, thanks for posting it OP :D

I was leaning toward the gigabyte myself.

What about Asus?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121272

It's seems to be clocked the highest and has nice cooling.

Although I did run across this in the other posts that lowteck posted--not sure if its good or bad..
They all use the reference design, clocks, and BIOS (with the exception of ASUS); thus should perform identically.

I'm curious about this reference design, could someone elaborate the meaning of this? :D

I would highly recommend the HIS 4850 ICEQ
I have 4 of them and very happy, & Cards run extremely cool

The His is a nice card due to the cooler.I wish visiontek would use a cooler like that

In the end, all of these cards are exactly the same with just a different brand sticker on them, and a different stock cooler (which should probably be replaced anyway).

I join the VisionTek crowd because all other things relative, the warranty is nice to have.

i went with the msi listed in Everett1's post. the cooler is good, 43C idle, 60C load. it is audible stock (60% speed) however you can change the speed in the latest 8.10s or use rivatuner. I dropped it to 50% and i cant hear it and my temps went up 2C. msi warranty is 3 yrs.

some companies support is almost non existant, like HIS, so i quickly dropped them from my list.

if i was buying now, id consider the msi, gigabyte, or visiontek (strictly for warranty). But note the gigabyte is a non-reference design.

Is leaving the memory bare really that little of an issue?

The MSI one looks like it has it covered, but all the other ones with non stock coolers don't seem to care.

I'm curious about this reference design, could someone elaborate the meaning of this? :D

When ATI/NVDIA release a new graphics card, they specify a certain pcb board design, memory type, clock speed, and cooler. That original design is called the reference design. 3rd party manufactures may deviate from it(move components around on the pc, change clockspeed, change coolers, etc).

Is leaving the memory bare really that little of an issue?

The MSI one looks like it has it covered, but all the other ones with non stock coolers don't seem to care.

Anyone have an answer for this?

i went with the msi listed in Everett1's post. the cooler is good, 43C idle, 60C load. it is audible stock (60% speed) however you can change the speed in the latest 8.10s or use rivatuner. I dropped it to 50% and i cant hear it and my temps went up 2C. msi warranty is 3 yrs.

some companies support is almost non existant, like HIS, so i quickly dropped them from my list.

if i was buying now, id consider the msi, gigabyte, or visiontek (strictly for warranty). But note the gigabyte is a non-reference design.

I'm a bit shocked yet it's cool (no pun intended) you went with a link of my recommendation. I'd go for that one too if Ncix or Tiger Direct Canada sold it. :p

Do hope your MSI card gives you nothing but a good PC time, and hopefully no problems will occur with the card and the actual warranty.

I have two 4850's in crossfire, one from Visiontek and one from HiS. They are absolutely identical in every single way.

Cards are 99% identical, just look differently, have different fans and have different brand name on them. Otherwise, it's the exact same ATI GPU.

I am thoroughly confused with all the options. So far, I've heard the HIS IceQ, regular gigabyte, regular MSI, and Sapphire Toxic have their own special non-reference coolers. The gigabyte and MSI have zalman coolers, but don't know if they are the same, the IceQ and Toxic their own thing. I want to know which one is the quietest, as well as whether the fan speed can be controlled via rivatuner like the reference coolers can.

I am thoroughly confused with all the options. So far, I've heard the HIS IceQ, regular gigabyte, regular MSI, and Sapphire Toxic have their own special non-reference coolers. The gigabyte and MSI have zalman coolers, but don't know if they are the same, the IceQ and Toxic their own thing. I want to know which one is the quietest, as well as whether the fan speed can be controlled via rivatuner like the reference coolers can.

the latest set of ati drivers have built in fan control so that is a non-issue, w/e non-stock cooler you get you can't really go wrong as they will all be better than ati's stock cooler anyways so just pick the cheapest and be happy.

If you're looking at an aftermarket cooler, I strongly suggest the Thermalright HR-03 GT which can be found for about $45. Using it on my 4850 and temps never go over 50C.

The HIS ICEQ coolers are very very quiet. I can't even hear it until it gets to 80%.
Even then it is hard to hear anything.

At 50% fan speed / 99% GPU load - 55C max on the ICEQ 4850.

I'd have to say I love the HIS cooler on my 3850...I run it right at 80% and its very quiet. I also like how it dumps the hot air out of the case.

I have an asus and it has been working perfectly since I installed it

don't mess around with the shitty bundled software, but I think that goes for all hardware

I'd have to say I love the HIS cooler on my 3850...I run it right at 80% and its very quiet. I also like how it dumps the hot air out of the case.

What are the idle/load temps with that stock cooler?

A lot of my friends own VisionTek and only seem to go with VisionTek. They tell me of all their bad experiences with other brands so I'm totally VT brainwashed.

Other than VT, I'd go with ASUS or MSI.

Some users stick with on brand for life it seems, which is good in some cases.

I just read the review I find and make a decision based on those.

As many have pointed out, what good is a "lifetime" warranys when most of us won't have the card over two years anyways ...

To me, it is a pain the in butt to buy and mount and after-market cooler , so I went with the HIS IceQ versions. I have also heard good things about the MSI version with the large cooler...

Either will serve you well ...

For my systems, cooling is important since all my GPU are used for Folding@Home and stay at 99% GPU load 24/7.

The Palit XAE/48500+T352 4850 512MB is redesigned. By redesigned, I mean the card is shorter than the normal cards (even the other Palit 4850 cards) and it has a very decent cooling system that should require no aftermarket cooling. This is probably the only 4850 512MB I would consider.

visiontek cuz warranty iz lifetime\

waiting for guy who told me to say this to say "but visiontek doesnt gotz no lifetimez on diz one"

What are the idle/load temps with that stock cooler?

well, I have it vmodded and running 785/985, stock clocks are pre overclocked at 720/910.
The stock clocks for a 3850 is (I think) 668/800.

I idle at around 38C and load around 55-60C

well, I have it vmodded and running 785/985, stock clocks are pre overclocked at 720/910.
The stock clocks for a 3850 is (I think) 668/800.

I idle at around 38C and load around 55-60C

Nice temps and good clocks.

Back