Radeon HD 3870 and HD 3850

Just want to know about this HD3870 will she be faster than the 8800GTX now, and how about IQ the current 8800 series has killer image quality.

I would buy one if, A; It beats the 8800Ultra, B; has same or higher IQ, and C; if the AA bug is fixed

Just want to know about this HD3870 will she be faster than the 8800GTX now, and how about IQ the current 8800 series has killer image quality.

I would buy one if, A; It beats the 8800Ultra, B; has same or higher IQ, and C; if the AA bug is fixed

These cards are not meant to compete with an 8800 GTX/Ultra, so A) is out of the question. They should perform more or less the same as HD 2900 XT/Pro, with more features (hardware video decoding being the most notable) and on a small fab process, which will decrease power consumption and heat generation. The only limitation, when compared to the HD 2900 XT/Pro, may come @ super high resolutions, where the 256 bit memory bus, will start to cripple performance.
Shader AA, is the norm for all R600 based chips, so I doubt we'll see a different approach with these cards, which, until now, are nothing more than a HD 2900 XT @ 55 nm, with hardware decoding capabilities and DX10.1 support.

This RV670 better be damn good, because the first 8800GT review is incredible. Lets go ATI, lets see what you got!

I know it's still a guess, but will a 550 PSU able to run this thing?
I don't overclock.

It should require ALOT less power so yes, you will be fine

Also the AA thing, I verily don't believe that ATI would rework their AA engine from shader to dedicated, that requires alot of work, not to mention it seems ATI is hell bent on keeping the shader AA for future games.

That kinda sucks ( about the AA thing) as I have a hell of alot more "older games than I do newer games.

i don't think this will suck a lot of power. Running at 55nm compared to 80nm, skipping 65nm. It willd efinitely be an improvement over r600.

dang, and i just bought the 2900pro lol

That kinda sucks ( about the AA thing) as I have a hell of alot more "older games than I do newer games.

Older games aren't a problem its with the newer games, only one game supports Shader AA at this time and it only makes the GTS640 on par with the HD 2900XT right now with AA enabled, even the near future games will barely support this feature, it probably won't go into full effect till over a year.

I have an X1900XTX IceQ3 (ultraviolet BLUE heatsink slapped onto it), and would probably get this HD3870 or whatever the number is as long as it's faster than 8800 Ultra.

But then again I would need to update my AMD cpu's to Intel's quad core, or else it would feel so incomplete upgrading one part without fully taking advantage of newer multi-CPU-intensive games like UT3, Supreme Commander, etc..

I have an X1900XTX IceQ3 (ultraviolet BLUE heatsink slapped onto it), and would probably get this HD3870 or whatever the number is as long as it's faster than 8800 Ultra.

But then again I would need to update my AMD cpu's to Intel's quad core, or else it would feel so incomplete upgrading one part without fully taking advantage of newer multi-CPU-intensive games like UT3, Supreme Commander, etc..

Again, none of these cards are meant to compete with the 8800 GTX/Ultra. They are just strong contenders for the "best bang for your buck" cards i.e. very good price/peformance ratio.

My biggest gripe over the HD2xxx line was the confusion with the UVD and the piss poor AA bit. If those two things are fixed and fixed WELL then I would consider them for a new crossfire setup. I would like to have DX10 but all the games coming out now that are DX10 I am not all that interested in. I'm not a fan of online play stuff. So, I may just wait and see what is available when a game sparks my interest. As it is my current setup is fine for when I actually have time to game. This is all very interesting though.

Better be damned good, priced right an available at launch if they want people to forget about the crappy 2k's. As of right now in locked in on the 8800gt, but if the 3k's are priced right and perform, I'll buy one.

Again, none of these cards are meant to compete with the 8800 GTX/Ultra. They are just strong contenders for the "best bang for your buck" cards i.e. very good price/peformance ratio.

...and you know this how? :rolleyes:

You keep harping on how this card is no big deal, nothing to see here people move along type posts, with ZERO to back it up.

Why not wait for Brent's review eh Chief.

You keep harping on how this card is no big deal, nothing to see here people move along type posts, with ZERO to back it up.

Just rumors and heresay, oh, and sites in chinese that none of us can read but the graphs. I'm not pointing at anyone in particular, it's nice to have an idea what these new cards might be all about, but it seems like EVERY post lately in the Video Cards forum is links and graphs to sites nobody's heard about showing all this information about unreleased video cards which are still supposedly under NDA.

Edit: Anyways, agreed, we should make like ONE thread per ATI/NVIDIA forum and keep the rumors to those threads. We can wait for the [H]'s review and other ACTUAL reviews to make more posts.

Reason he says that is due to the fact that ATI themselves has told the public that their cards would not be able to compete against the GTX or Ultra series of Nvidia. Ramped clocks, halved memory bus, doubtefull redisign AA engine I'm with the general crowd of it not being able to compete against Nvidia's ultra high end, not to mention its price tag also means they don't think its their new Glory. The HD 2900 is a good card, priced a bit too high IMO and their new card will probably get them alot of money and respect back as a whole.

I'm all for waiting and seeing but to think otherwise and wait for the review will most likely, in this case, lead up to dissapointment with higher expectations then ATI advertised.

Its not faster then the 8800gt so..........

??

Did you read my post at all ? Where did I say it was no big deal ? I just said they are NOT meant to compete with GTX/Ultra level cards, but rather meant to take a place in the "best bang for your buck" cards, which is what consumers i.e us, usually buy...

Really don't understand the rage towards my post...

??

Did you read my post at all ? Where did I say it was no big deal ? I just said they are NOT meant to compete with GTX/Ultra level cards, but rather meant to take a place in the "best bang for your buck" cards, which is what consumers i.e us, usually buy...

That would be just what lots of us are looking for..Don't really care about the ultra high level cards they just cost way too much $$$...

??

It wasn't rage, it was needed. Because like clock work every time ATi comes out with a card for the past couple of years you begin to talk down their latest offering. All anyone has to do is bring up old threads about new launches and there you are doing your bit.

My contention was simple, nothing concrete has come out about the HD3870. Even the slides that have been leaked could very well be lies pushed out by AMD to fool Nvidia about their true clocks. Which has already been reported that AMD is actively seeking it's leaker's and purposely putting out false info to draw them out.

So in effect no one has any idea if this card will be in fact and upper mid range card or beat the 8800GTX outright.

Because honestly why would AMD release a card 6 months later that is only as fast as the farce the HD 2900XT was?

Why would AMD release a fixed version of that HD2900XT (that on paper should have easily competed with the 8800GTX) with 11 months of time to correct all the problems and still be as slow.

Because they knew as far back as last December the problems with the R600. After 11+ months and shrinking the die to 55na and fixing all the issues they somehow could not only claw back the performance it was supposed to have and even found more? Is that so impossible?

Hell I will even go out on limb with zero facts to back it up that the 3870 will be as fast if not a tad quicker than the 8800GTX with less power and lower prices.

I just cannot believe for a second that with 11 months under their belt they would release a card (with Crysis's launch looming) that is still slower than a 12 month year old Nvidia Flagship 8800GTX.

It wasn't rage, it was needed. Because like clock work every time ATi comes out with a card for the past couple of years you begin to talk down their latest offering. All anyone has to do is bring up old threads about new launches and there you are doing your bit.

My contention was simple, nothing concrete has come out about the HD3870. Even the slides that have been leaked could very well be lies pushed out by AMD to fool Nvidia about their true clocks. Which has already been reported that AMD is actively seeking it's leaker's and purposely putting out false info to draw them out.

So in effect no one has any idea if this card will be in fact and upper mid range card or beat the 8800GTX outright.

Because honestly why would AMD release a card 6 months later that is only as fast as the farce the HD 2900XT was?

Why would AMD release a fixed version of that HD2900XT (that on paper should have easily competed with the 8800GTX) with 11 months of time to correct all the problems and still be as slow.

Because they knew as far back as last December the problems with the R600. After 11+ months and shrinking the die to 55na and fixing all the issues they somehow could not only claw back the performance it was supposed to have and even found more? Is that so impossible?

Hell I will even go out on limb with zero facts to back it up that the 3870 will be as fast if not a tad quicker than the 8800GTX with less power and lower prices.

I just cannot believe for a second that with 11 months under their belt they would release a card (with Crysis's launch looming) that is still slower than a 12 month year old Nvidia Flagship 8800GTX.

im crossing my fingers for this to be true

Unless of course AMD new modus operandi is to release upper mid range cards and if you want "Flagship" performance you need to go Crossfire.

Which I think is a total cop out.

Unless of course AMD new modus operandi is to release upper mid range cards and if you want "Flagship" performance you need to go Crossfire.
If they opt for this strategy it would only be temporary until the next generation (R700), which should be a MCM powerhouse.

BTW, anyone know what the R680 in Q1 is going to bring to the table?

If they opt for this strategy it would only be temporary until the next generation (R700), which should be a MCM powerhouse.

BTW, anyone know what the R680 in Q1 is going to bring to the table?

Most likely dual chip single pcb card.

So if the R680 is not out until Q1'08 the R700 won't be hear until Summer and by that time the 9900Ultra will be here = refresh of the 9800GTX coming with Crysis

So if the R680 is not out until Q1'08 the R700 won't be hear until Summer and by that time the 9900Ultra will be here...
We'll have a better idea of the R680 performance once the RV670 based offerings get benched next month. Maybe the R680 can compete with the best NVidia products next year.

No, it was not needed. I never talked down on ATI's offerings,. That's your perception of it. Your ATI fan perception that is, which you never disputed and in fact confirmed.
I did however, follow the R600 rumors very closely and couldn't have anything good, to say about it as you confirmed later on, at its launch. When anyone releases something good, I'm there to praise it, as I was when ATI released the X1950 Pro or when NVIDIA released their 8800s.

Your divergencies with me aside, and back on topic, I reiterate: This card is not meant to compete with NVIDIA's current high-end. It will get close as the HD 2900 XT did, but it's meant to off load the huge costs, that a 700+ million transistor with a 512 bit memory interface (R600) has and thus provide higher profit margins, while giving us, consumers, excellent performance, for less money.
AMD may have their next graphics high-end ready, but these chips are not it.

Why can't you believe it? If it's cheaper (due to the smaller process) it makes total sense they'd try to undercut the GTS and their own R600. They can sell it for less, even if it doesn't outperform anything, right?

It's pretty funny how people make so big deal about flagship cards when those 200-300$ one are usually most interesting market segment being affordable yet powerfull.

Personally i don't care that ati won't have $500 monster I'm perfectly happy if they release something as fast or even better than 2900 xt for 200-250$.

We'll have a better idea of the R680 performance once the RV670 based offerings get benched next month. Maybe the R680 can compete with the best NVidia products next year.

No freaking way, the R670 is not even fast as a 8800Ultra which is one year old technology already, and the 9800GTX will be a 1TF VideoCard, supposed to be fast as 2-8800GTX's, then the R680 is supposed to be dual 3870's on one Card ?? I don't see two 3870's being faster than one 9800GTX.

So the R700 will be out Spring/Summer '08 and that is supposed to be AMD/ATI's all new flagship VideoCard, and that I think will be the new top performer next year, easily beating even a 9900Ultra, but when will that card be here, and will be named HD4870XTX or something strange ??

So the R700 will be out Spring/Summer '08 and that is supposed to be AMD/ATI's all new flagship VideoCard, and that I think will be the new top performer next year, easily beating even a 9900Ultra, but when will that card be here, and will be named HD4870XTX or something strange ??

Summer 08.

I strongly believe that the R670 will be areal good midrange card,so good that Nvidia knows it and has moved there dates up.I see Quad X-fire of this R670 being as fast and cheaper than tri SLI which can only be used by GTX/Ultra.AMD/ATI is about to do something big I tell ya BIG!

all the performance in the world wont mean shit for us 30" owners who need fixed aspect ratio scaling.

until they can implement that feature in drivers, im not coming back to ATI.

Back