• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Radeon HD 3850 a bottleneck?

Canuck21

n00b
Joined
Apr 1, 2008
Messages
6
Would a Radeon HD 3850 be a bottleneck in a system with an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 as the processor? I'm not a big gamer, will only play The Sims 2 and Civilization 4 and some other simulations and strategy games. I will be playing and working in Vista Ultimate 64-bit.
 
No, it won't be a bottleneck.
Usually with a modern and decent video card the CPU it's the bottleneck. ;)
 
I got pretty bad slowdown in SimCity4 with a GeCube 3850 (512MB). I certainly consider it a bottleneck. My system is in my signature.
 
Yep, during the days where Single Core AMD Athlon 64 was faster than Intel P4 cpus, the CPU was a bottleneck for 7800GTX/7900GTX cards. Especially, when you ran them in SLI.


That was then. From what I've read, today's CPUs are more powerful than the GPUs.
 
I got pretty bad slowdown in SimCity4 with a GeCube 3850 (512MB). I certainly consider it a bottleneck. My system is in my signature.

That sounds more like a bug to me. My old Opteron + 7800 GTX which is slower than a 3850 can run SimCity 4 no problem.

Would a Radeon HD 3850 be a bottleneck in a system with an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 as the processor? I'm not a big gamer, will only play The Sims 2 and Civilization 4 and some other simulations and strategy games. I will be playing and working in Vista Ultimate 64-bit.

Not for that sort of game, no.
 
Back
Top