Radeon 9800 pro tweaks?

Hi Guys,

I have recently upgraded my Gforce4 ti4200 128Mb to a Sapphire Atlantis Radeon 9800 PRO 128 MB and noticed little difference in quality between the cards. While reading reviews many people said the 9800 pro has a vast difference from the ti4200.

Does anyone know how I can beast tweak my 9800 pro to make it work better?

Thanks,
CP

Edit> I will try installing the Catalyst 4.6 files as i am currently using the default drivers off the provided cd.

You did get the 256 bit edition correct? Not the crippled 128bit?

And the new drivers may help your performance a bit.

well playing battlefield 1942 it appears to be no different and i have installed the new drivers.

You might have the crippled version, Get ATI Tool and click the settings button on the bottom right side. Look for Memory Bus Width, If its 128 then you got screwed...

You should be seeing a huge difference, better IQ and FPS. Also what are your other specs? Your PC itself might be bottlenecking it.

Thanks, it says the memory bus width is 256 bit.

My specs are:

AMD xp 2400+ (2ghz)
1gb ram
2 hd's

Any suggestions?

umm what res. are u running it at and did u change your settings in the options menu? also what monitor, cpu, are u on?

Well i am running in 1152x864, before i ran it at 1024x768.

As for monitor its a plug and play monitor, no drivers have been installed for it. I am downloading aquamark 3, i'll bench mark and post the score.

My pc should be ok with that, settings were on high on my ti4200 and now on the 9800 pro.

is there anything i can tweak in the options of display which will help?

Aquamark told me nothing because its not the full version crap :mad:

Did you uninstall your nVidia drivers before you put in an ATi chip? I donno if that will cause conflict or not, but it might just be loading some stuff where it no longer needs it...

krizzle said:
Did you uninstall your nVidia drivers before you put in an ATi chip? I donno if that will cause conflict or not, but it might just be loading some stuff where it no longer needs it...

yea i think krizzle has it. i didn't even think of that. search google for nvidia destroyer or something like that (i can't even remember the name, and i used the program) and remove all your nvidia drivers that are made for your card and then install the new 4.6 ati drivers. there should be a great improvement now.

I'll try that, i used ad remove programs to remove the driver but maybe something still remains.

Edit> I ran Detonator Destroyer v1.2 By Andrew Hall from 3dguru.com and it hasn't found any nvidia drivers on my system.

I'll try removing all my drivers and reloading the wxp-w2k-catalyst-8-02-040515a-015958c.exe file, do i need the wxp-w2k-8-02-040515a-015958c.exe installed too which is called a display driver?

maybe the safest way to truly remove nVidia drivers is this:
With your ATi card in the machine, right click on my computer, > manage, choose Device Manager, under display adapters, choose your ATi card, open the properties, go to driver tab, and click UNINSTALL. This does well to remove your ATi drivers, but now, when you are asked to restart, just say no and TURN OFF the comp... then put your nVidia chip back in... then just do the same thing for the nVidia drivers, which might still be there from last time (if it is Nvidia as the driver provider in the Drivers tab) without the need to install them... Then pop your ATi piece in and go to ati.com to d/l the latest and greatest.
Hope that made sence... Told the same to my friend when he switched to ATi (seems to be all the rage, now) and it solved all of his performance trouble.
Good Luck!

Oh, does the 256MB 9800pro have 256-bit ram? I wonder if my friend got gypped.

I no longer have my geforce card, thanks for the suggestion, i'll try install the latest cat's if that doesn't work i'll simply format.

Thanks alot :)

Oooh, formatting might just solve any other problem on your comp..
I happen to do it regularly...
Useful to have a second drive D to keep the stuff you actually need.

I, too, went from a Ti-4200 to the 9800Pro. You'll love the performance benefits in many games like Halo, Splinter Cell, Far Cry and even the GTA series.

I tweaked my card by replacing the default fan with a waterblock and placing some RAM sinks on the naked memory modules (OCZ copper ones).

I also used the FlashROM program to extract my BIOS and changed the default core and memory speeds to 425/360MHz. That way, i don't have to manually change these settings with a 3rd party program.

If you can't go water, you may want to replace the fan with the VGA Silencer revision 3.

Optimummind said:
I tweaked my card by replacing the default fan with a waterblock and placing some RAM sinks on the naked memory modules (OCZ copper ones).

I also used the FlashROM program to extract my BIOS and changed the default core and memory speeds to 425/360MHz. That way, i don't have to manually change these settings with a 3rd party program.

I've never placed anything on the ram, is there any chance you could get me a picture so i can see exactly what you mean, and how to do it? I am guessing somehow the ATI TOOL can help me increase the clock speed. Would using another fan improve how the card preforms?

Thanks.

Back