• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Radeon 9800 Pro Problem... R.I.P.???

redrocksout

Weaksauce
Joined
Sep 1, 2004
Messages
107
So my PC suddenly stopped working for a while and everytime I would reset, it would NOT POST and just stayed there...

eventually I swapped the card with an older one and the PC worked fine...

now my question is, if the PC didnt POST at all with the 9800, would that mean it's dead or could it be a possible driver problem?

I ask this because when I would turn the power on WITHOUT a card in the AGP slot, it would give error POSTs... if I inserted the "dead" card, it wouldnt POST at all.

what do you guys thinnk I should do? just trash it?
 
Drivers aren't loaded that early, so doubt that is the issue. Have you tried reinserting the 9800 -- might have just jiggled loose and needed to be reseated.

Failing that, I'd guess a dead card. You weren't trying to flash it to a 9800 XT by chance?
 
Just to rule out a possibility -- how is your power supply. I've heard that if the Videocard requires more than it's gonna give out, the computer won't post. (Although you should be fine with 9800 Pro)
 
Blakestr said:
Just to rule out a possibility -- how is your power supply. I've heard that if the Videocard requires more than it's gonna give out, the computer won't post. (Although you should be fine with 9800 Pro)

I have a Fortron 530W PSU... the card worked flawlessly for almost 3 years now but I figure it just decided to *pfft* crap out. I bought it used on Ebay too... so ya know.

I mean it wont be a big deal for me to get a new card considering I was plannin on upgrading for FEAR and STALKER this year anyway, but I'm just wondering if maybe you guys had some ideas on whether or not it's safe to call it dead. :p
 
Best way to find out is what you already know. Toss it in a friends. (Ati used to have buyback progam, maybe worth a look though a broken card)
 
Send it my way, I'll tell you! (I'll probably keep it too, but at least you won't have to worry about it anymore. ;))
 
Back
Top