radeon 9550 on emachine t3302 problems

vek

n00b
Joined
May 2, 2005
Messages
25
So my parents bought this computer for my brother for xmas. I went with them to bestbuy y-day and picked out the 9550 b/c they didn't want to spend much. I noticed when I was installing it that it didn't have a fan on the heatsink, which I do not if that is the problem. So....
I removed the onboard video drivers and installed the catalyst 6.1 drivers. From what I can tell, the motherboard automatically disables the onboard video when it detected the AGP card slot being used since I could not find anything in the bios about disabling it. So You would think since it was new and didn't have any old video card it would just work.

Problem is, right after you start a game, it will constantly go back to the desktop with a popup about VPU Recovery etc etc. Then go back to the game. Disabling VPU in the drivers will jsut cause the game to freeze for a few seconds every minute or so. It does this on the menus which is pretty bad. The only games he has on there are Civ3 and some new starwars online only game. Forgot the title...not improtant.

What should I do? Having trouble finding anything on the net. If it is just the fanless of the video card, what do you recommend that is between $90-100 from newegg and I will tell her to take that one back and order the other one.
 
I don't know what's exactly causing your problem but your best bet is to return that overpriced POS back to Best Buy and buy a decent card for the same amount of money on Newegg :)
 
Is the 9600Xt the best less than $100? Doesn't matter if its ATI or Nvidia to me.
 
That works. Ordered it and told parents to return the other one.
 
Back
Top