• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Radeon 9500np mem OC

AdvModDev

Weaksauce
Joined
Apr 21, 2003
Messages
108
I've had a Powercolor R9500np w/ 128MB Hynix mem (W1z softmodded) for a while now and finally got around to doing the VDD and VREF mods for the mem. But my mem OC has been totally inconsistent. Before the mod, I could do 311MHz with default voltages (VDD = 2.82, VREF = 1.24). After-mod, 315 is about all the mem will do consistently w/out artifacts. This is with 2.9 VDD and 1.26 VREF because raising them does not help (and they are the lowest I can go anyway because the VRs won't allow anything lower). But what is strange is that sometimes 330Mhz will also be obtainable at these low voltages. The catch is that it will only be workable (artifact-free) for a couple of boots (ie after that third reboot or so, 330MHz causes major artifacting and I am forced to go back down to 315). Again, Increasing VDD or VREF does not help. If I could somehow get the 330MHz OC to "stick", I would be very satisfied.

The GPU does 420 @ 1.725 and behaves as expected (ie increasing VGPU enables a higher GPU OC). But the mem is totally unpredictable and inconsistent. I know the R9500 is pretty much obsolete considering all the new cards out, but I'm not planning to upgrade until HL2 is out and want to maximize what I got to the fullest. So what is the cause for this bitchy mem? Has anyone else had the same mem OC frustration with this card?

Edit: VGA Silencer rev3 and fully memsinked.
 
Your already pulling great clock on that mem, niether of my two 9500np's could hit your premod #'s w/o artifacts. Try to be happy with what you got and don't fry that puppy : )
 
I agree, I wouldn't say it's obselete. Just aging well, like the TI4200 was known for.
Besides, mine only goes to 290 on the RAM without totally going fucking bananas.
But..uh...as far as your question goes, I have no clue. Sorry.
 
I don't know guys...the mem is Hynix and supposedly clocks higher than the Infineon ICs on the Sapphires. BTW, anyone know what 3.6ns mem is supposed to do MHz-wise (some kind of formula involved)? It's just that I've seen guys at the ARC and ORB with the our card getting really high mem clocks. Of course they're all Vmodded, but increasing voltage to this card just doesn't help at all.

Originally, I just did the Vdd mod cause I didn't have any spare VRs. Then I heard that doing the Vref mod and setting it to half of Vdd is indeed supposed to help, but it did absolutely nothing. Matter of fact, it made it worse...setting Vref to anything higher than about 1.48V causes major artifacting not just in 3D but also 2D! Even the BIOS screens were screwed up if Vref was set too high. I guess I have to conclude that either my card is screwed up, the mem is flakey, or both.:(
 
+-278Mhz is what your 3.6ns RAM is rated at. Don't feel bad. . .my 3.3ns Infineon RAM on my 9800SE flakes out at anything over 300Mhz
 
Back
Top