Radeon 9500 Pro problems ;[

Volk

Limp Gawd
I've had this card for about a year now. A few months ago the fan on it stopped working and it would shut down when playing games before I noticed the fan was broken. I replaced it with a Vantec Iceberq 4. It worked fine for the next 2 month, gamed heavily with it. So I get a 9800 Pro and sell the 9500 Pro to a friend, he installs it and runs a few games. Says it keeps shutting down on him when running graphic intensive games. I tried it again in my PC and it does this also. I reseated the fane with arctic silver 5, yes I know how to apply a very thin coat. And it keeps shutting down ;[

wtf is wrong with it ?

thanks.

What does it do when it "shuts down"? Black screen, BSOD, colored lines?
Could possibly be a power issue. Make sure it is not hooked up to the same power leads as the hard drives (my 9700 will crash hard with colored vertical lines).
Also, the pins for the power plug got loose on mine (where they are soldered to the PCB) and it started doing the same thing. I resoldered the pin myself. Both happened during intensive 3D apps, fine in 2D.
It could have been either for you, or maybe the reason it worked for a year then quit is that the power supply may have gotten just a little too weak to run it.
Hope this is some help, I know the feeling, but my card has been rocking since I fixed it about 6 months ago.

It just goes dead. When I restart it give me a temperature overheat warning and I have to hit F1 to continue. Its not the same power connector as the HDD. When my friend tried it in his pc it did the same thing, so I dont think its anything to do with my pc, its the card. I havent taken a look at the power connector, but I was yanking on it pretty hard whenever i wanted to disconnect it. I'll take a look at that thanks.

Back