Radeon 7xxx series rumored specs

nakedhand

2[H]4U
From Nordic Hardware

"Radeon HD 7870 is the top model based on the GPU Thames XT and according to the documents they will be made with TSMC's 28 nanometer HPL technology (High Performance Low-power). Despite specifications that are similar to the current top model Radeon HD 6970 - actually higher on several points - Radeon HD 7870 will get a maximal power consumption of only 120 watt, which is more than half of the 250 watt the 40nm precursor consumed."

"The unconfirmed information says that the flagship Radeon HD 7970 (Tahiti XT) will ship with 2048 Radeon cores and a GPU frequency of 1000 MHz, which should result in a performance to remember, but despite that the power consumption will only be 190 watt, thanks to the new node technology."

"AMD looks to have something really exciting coing over the coming six months, but this is unconfirmed information that we may very well be fake. Either way it sounds likely that AMD will start its 28nm launch of Southern Islands with VLIW4 and later introduce Graphics Core Next."

Just rumors, keep in mind.

Forgive me if this has been already posted. Very tired here..

yes this node jump will rock, both for power and performance. Hopefully these specs pan out :) Either way really fast cards are once again on the horizon *twitch*

Sweet jesus this seems like a huge fracking jump.

For 6970 to 7970 from 28 gigapixel Fillrate to 64? And my god the memory bandwidth.... Though at these kind of numbers I'm thinking this fillrate won't matter too much outside of eyefinity setups... going to be shader limited soon. The number of shaders didnt seem to get nearly the same bump as the rest of the specs though.

This seems fakeish to me, but you never know.

Anyone else notice the "quality reviewing sites" (as opposed to rumor sites) are noticeably silent on the 7000 series?

Think there's any chance some reference cards are out there being reviewed at the moment?

Sure would like to hear these cards are releasing this month (Sept.).

what do ya know AMD/ATI taking the leap into new memory architecture ahead of everyone again.. will be interesting to see what this XDR2 memory can do.

Anyone else notice the "quality reviewing sites" (as opposed to rumor sites) are noticeably silent on the 7000 series?

Think there's any chance some reference cards are out there being reviewed at the moment?

Sure would like to hear these cards are releasing this month (Sept.).

no.. probably in a couple weeks samples will be sent out from the manufactures to reviewers.

Idc who makes it, I just want new GPUs :).

New memory, sounds like its gonna be hit or miss, but still cool that they are going for something new.

i hope ,y 4850 512mb card can hold me out until this comes!!

The 4850 still has some life left in it, especially if you aren't gaming at 1920 x 1080. A buddy of mine is running one in a first-gen i5 system with 4 gigs of ram, running at 1600x900. He just wrapped up Deus Ex Human Revolution with everything at full with 2xAA.

We have no concrete information on when Radeon HD 7900 series will launch, but most likely Q1 2012.

SON OF A BITCH! Now I have to wait for kepler :( My HD 5970 is probably going to die when I start BF3 at 2560x1600.

I want my next GPU to have a minimum framerate of 60fps in BF3 with 2560x1600 monitors in eyefinity.

And I want it to cool my house at the same time.

Exciting stuff if this is true. 78xx release should come close to mirroring the 68xx cards release date from last year. It appears that the 7870 will slightly exceed the performance of the 6970 while consuming half the power. Not very exciting if you already own a 6970 obviously, but should make for a excellent mid range card.

The 4850 still has some life left in it, especially if you aren't gaming at 1920 x 1080. A buddy of mine is running one in a first-gen i5 system with 4 gigs of ram, running at 1600x900. He just wrapped up Deus Ex Human Revolution with everything at full with 2xAA.

i am actually..lol

i bought my new rig, i5, 16G of ram and i was holding out on the vid card, since i wasnt sure if i was going to get a 24 or 27' LCD so for now i havea 22 1920 x 1080 i borrowed and i was really shocked playing Tf2 at this res with 4x AA and 4X AF and i was hitting 100+ FPS most of the time.

so i think it will hold me over since i mainly play Tf2 anyways and l4d2 for now.

SON OF A BITCH! Now I have to wait for kepler :( My HD 5970 is probably going to die when I start BF3 at 2560x1600.

Exactly...I have the same card and I'm DYING to upgrade for BF3 at 2560...but it just makes no sense right now :(

I'm really just hoping the 7 series will cause some nice price drops on the 6 and 5 series.

Yay another website starved for hits regurgitates the same FAKE word vomit posted elsewhere.
The original source is here: http://bbs.expreview.com/thread-46257-1-1.html
And all this was already confirmed a fake by Neliz at Beyond3d. Move along.
130461075v9480x480front.jpg

Last edited:
either way, as said above, if they suck hopefully the 5 /6 series will drop, heck i would take a 5850 again.

I have a ati 7000 agp in my computer at work. It is not that fast....

Sweet jesus this seems like a huge fracking jump.

For 6970 to 7970 from 28 gigapixel Fillrate to 64? And my god the memory bandwidth.... Though at these kind of numbers I'm thinking this fillrate won't matter too much outside of eyefinity setups... going to be shader limited soon. The number of shaders didnt seem to get nearly the same bump as the rest of the specs though.

This seems fakeish to me, but you never know.

Only 33% more radeon cores. But we don't know how GCN CU compare to VLIW in performance per shader unit. Memory bandwidth increase and double the ROPs looks good though. I would say 25- 30% increase over current generation seem possible.

I will definitely wait for Nvidia Kepler to launch before deciding. Seeing how gtx480 destroys the gtx295 at launch they seem more ambitious than Amd when comes to performance.

Last edited:
Forgot the HD in the subject title (how confusing hehe). Anyway these specs seem to have been debunked.

Yay another website starved for hits regurgitates the same FAKE word vomit posted elsewhere.
[/IMG]

Didn´t see this, thanks for the info.

130461075v9480x480front.jpg

Funny shirt :D No offense to you Lorien but Neliz lost ALOT of credit when he said that Cayman would launch with 1920SP AND beat GTX 580. As far as I'm concerned his hints don't mean anything anymore.

!! Disclaimer the folowing post is all conjecture based on the above slides which may not even be real !!

Not saying these are real but if they are it's not really that impressive, hard to say as GCN performance is an unknown but going by shader cores and clock speed the 7970 would be about a 40% performance improvement over a 6970 but only about a 20% performanc improvement over a solidly oc'ed gtx 580 and the 7950 would be only like a 25% improvement over a 6970 and just barely an improvement over a oc'ed 580.

now it could be that the 7000 series will oc like mad but if the past is any indication that won't be the case.

now assuming prices remain the same between series that would still make these amazing bang for buck wise which is great for new buyers but I can't imagine any reasonable person with say a gtx 580 having an incentive to upgrade. (not that it really matters anyway because outside of metro last light there probably isn't anything coming out in the next year and a half that will really make a 580/570/6970/6950 work up a sweat anyways /shakefistatconsoles)

Only 33% more radeon cores. But we don't know how GCN CU compare to VLIW in performance per shader unit. Memory bandwidth increase and double the ROPs looks good though. I would say 25- 30% increase over current generation seem possible.

I will definitely wait for Nvidia Kepler to launch before deciding. Seeing how gtx480 destroys the gtx295 at launch they seem more ambitious than Amd when comes to performance.

Lol only 30%. :rolleyes:

I'm saving my pennies now for an Ivy Bridge + dual 7990 build summer 2012 :)

as long as DICE doesn't screw up BF3 like they did with BFBC2 and supporting ATI/AMD cards the 5970 should actually do pretty damn good in BF3. but given that its geared toward nvidia support i don't have much hopes that it will be.

-.- Are you guys kidding me? I purchased 5970 at around $600-700 back when it released.... you guys are telling me that at around $700 graphic card, it cannot handle 2560x1600 resolution well?

I'm saving my pennies now for an Ivy Bridge + dual 7990 build summer 2012 :)

This is what I might do as well. Just wait it out for now. It's tempting! AMD's Bulldozer looks to very promising for the consumer. I can't wait to see head to head benchmarks from Intel/AMD with their new generation CPU's!

-.- Are you guys kidding me? I purchased 5970 at around $600-700 back when it released.... you guys are telling me that at around $700 graphic card, it cannot handle 2560x1600 resolution well?

5970 should be fine

as long as DICE doesn't screw up BF3 like they did with BFBC2 and supporting ATI/AMD cards the 5970 should actually do pretty damn good in BF3. but given that its geared toward nvidia support i don't have much hopes that it will be.

I am more afraid of memory limitations of my video card. I still haven't noticed any huge peformance decrease when I upgraded from 1900x1200 to 2560x1600. But its alittle unsettling that I am might be in a stutterfest when I start seeing more than 30 players on my screen.

I am more afraid of memory limitations of my video card. I still haven't noticed any huge peformance decrease when I upgraded from 1900x1200 to 2560x1600. But its alittle unsettling that I am might be in a stutterfest when I start seeing more than 30 players on my screen.

Player count should really have a minimal (if any) affect on vram usage. Increased players = increased CPU load more than anything.

You have to understand when we play the PC gaming game, we always lose. I bought the HD 5970 at day one. I couldn't be any happier. But now that BF3 is coming out. I really don't know what to expect. A few alpha guys I have messaged said they're doing fine in BF3. But the level on uncertainty is alittle disturbing. Especially when the beta is going to be out soon and the Alpha didn't have all the bells and whistles enabled. I keep telling myself I am overreacting. But I said the same thing when BF2 came out :/

I really don't see anything disturbing in the least. I think you're just overreacting.

Player count should really have a minimal (if any) affect on vram usage. Increased players = increased CPU load more than anything.

Really? I used to play WoW and I used to have MSI afterburner running in the background. I noticed my video memory usage going up whenever I entered a heavily congested area. If I entered the same area when it's not congested my video memory usage was significantly lower.

But what you're saying is true. It should put more burden on the CPU and system RAM than the actual video RAM.

If the areas of congestion are also coupled with explosions and smoke, that could use up some vram. I suppose the additional shadows cast by more players could do the same also. Simple matter of turning down a setting or two. Maybe drop AA a notch. Not a big enough deal to lose sleep over, it's not like you'll NEED to drop another $700 on a video card.

Back