Radeon 7 (Vega 2, 7nm, 16GB) - $699 available Feb 7th with 3 games

Discussion in 'AMD Flavor' started by Digital Viper-X-, Jan 9, 2019.

1. sabrewolf732

sabrewolf732 2[H]4U

yes, looks far better than one would expect with just a couple hundred mhz increase in core speed. Guess vega 64 was really bandwidth starved.

cybereality and {NG}Fidel like this.
  2. {NG}Fidel

{NG}Fidel [H]ardness Supreme

I've never seen 12gb vram use with bfv at 4k on my setup.

3. noko

noko 2[H]4U

Ok

4. {NG}Fidel

5. El Derpo

El Derpo Limp Gawd

I haven’t seen any benchmarks go past 7 GB of usage.

6. Gideon

Gideon [H]ard|Gawd

1546856165f4k2bi0vdz_10_1.png

tungt88, euskalzabe, noko and 4 others like this.
  7. El Derpo

El Derpo Limp Gawd

Wow. That makes the 2080 look pretty silly for that game at 4K. Even the 2080 Ti might struggle. I was looking around at benchmarks, but didn’t think to check [H]. Thanks. Makes AMD’s decision to go with 16 GB look pretty good right now.

tungt88, noko and Gideon like this.
  8. IdiotInCharge

IdiotInCharge Not the Idiot YOU are Looking for

It would, if they had DXR ;)

9. Derangel

Derangel [H]ardForum Junkie

The decision might be good for professional or content creation situations, but it really seems like massive overkill for gaming. 12GB would have made a lot more sense and likely have allowed them to lower the price a little.

10. IdiotInCharge

An odd configuration doesn't make much sense at first pass, but really, they could literally leave off a stack of HBM2 without affecting performance. If they could leave off two stacks, they could drop the interposer size and likely significantly reduce their BOM.

11. NKD

NKD [H]ardness Supreme

? It’s using over 8 gigs of ram in dx12 with no dxr at 4K.

noko and cybereality like this.
  12. Algrim

Algrim [H]ard|Gawd

Seems like the Radeon VII and a Zen2-based ThreadRipper would be a very potent content creation/gaming machine. Bonus points for being non-Intel/non-nVidia.

13. IdiotInCharge

You wouldn't use DX12 in BF:V unless you're using DXR.

Maddness likes this.
  14. NKD

NKD [H]ardness Supreme

{NG}Fidel likes this.
  15. IdiotInCharge

Maddness likes this.
  16. Nolan7689

Nolan7689 [H]ard|Gawd

17. sparks

sparks 2[H]4U

raytracing is a joke. so far they got it to work in one game, then gimped it so they had some frame rates.
    OH BOY raytracing....everyone stop shooting and come look at this shadow...aint it purty

dlss on the other hand helps...can amd do it???

Pieter3dnow likes this.
  18. Digital Viper-X-

Digital Viper-X- [H]ardForum Junkie

the % are off.... EG, Strange Brigade

60.9 -> 88.9 is more than 28%

19. cybereality

cybereality 2[H]4U

The 28.47 number is the same for the game right above, probably a copy/paste error.

20. noko

noko 2[H]4U

Depends upon your system, my Ryzen 2700 system/Vega FE's is faster in DX 12 than DX 11 in BF5 - plus DX 11 seems to be more erratic in framerates. Nvidia also has better DX 11 support so AMD users need to just test which one works best for them.

Also different aspects of any game can be different between the two API's, for example low content scenes as in objects, shaders etc. may excel under DX 11 single thread low latency (single thread controlling the draw calls) while DX 12 will excel at highly complexed scenes with tens of thousands of objects with the combined strength of multiple cores at work.

IdiotInCharge likes this.
  21. noko

noko 2[H]4U

That was with current Intel/Nvidia hardware, drivers, OS update - that does not mean other systems with different hardware/configurations will have the same behavior or findings.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019 at 3:44 AM
    cybereality likes this.
  22. Bawjaws

Bawjaws Limp Gawd

VRAM used and VRAM needed are two different things, of course. Games will cache as much as possible to memory even if that doesn't actually improve real-world performance.

Nightfire, Maddness, Snowdog and 3 others like this.
  23. kasakka

kasakka Gawd

Yup, it's the same thing as system RAM where unutilized RAM is useless RAM. So it makes sense to fill it to the brim with cached content for faster access if there is enough content to fill it in the first place. Doesn't mean it is needed.

noko and Bawjaws like this.
  24. {NG}Fidel

Agreed.
    My friends low core count system with a 580 prefers dx12. Anyone assuming it's just bad is just being lazy. Patches change things.

25. IdiotInCharge

With AMD's poor DX11 support, I can see why DX12 might seem attractive in Frostbyte- but in DX12 it's still slower than Nvidia's DX11 ;)

26. Pieter3dnow

Pieter3dnow [H]ardness Supreme

If AMD could cut cost wouldn't they have done that?
    Since when is it in AMD advantage to use high quality components to drive up costs in a market where they have trouble competing at the same level as Nvidia (being outsold all the time).
    Must have been a problem where they could not use it in any other way (guess why Vega originally needed HBM as well).

27. Nolan7689

Nolan7689 [H]ard|Gawd

And RE2 (demo) DX11 was far and away better than DX12 for me and at least one other mentioned it in the thread.

28. noko

noko 2[H]4U

lol or Nvidia DX 12 just plain sucks :D. It is what it is. I have two video's processing comparing DX11 and DX12, short and sweet. Will be placed in this thread once done and if ok (should be third video post):

https://hardforum.com/threads/battlefield-v-ryzen-cpu-and-vega-testing.1975050/

As for ram usage, in DX 12 I've have not seen anything over 7gb in DX 12, DX 11 it climbs to around 12gb and then stays there, this is at 1440p single player stuff. Once I get to mediocre at multiplayer or good enough to hide and not get killed in 5 secs I may do some more boring videos ;).

29. IdiotInCharge

Given that it's a game-to-game thing for DX12, not really. But AMD's DX11 (and DX10) drivers have struggled since their inception, of that there is no doubt.

Montu likes this.
  30. noko

noko 2[H]4U

yes and yes but sometimes no - for example FarCry 5 AMD drivers supports very well, works about perfect with CFX too. When AMD puts the effort in they can have some good DX 11 performance or efficiency.

31. IdiotInCharge

Sometimes they get lucky- I like to think it has to do with less ratfuckery from the devs on particular titles, but who knows.

32. Derangel

Derangel [H]ardForum Junkie

Buildzoid put up a video talking about the card. Pretty good run down of the card and some speculation on why the price is where its at. As usual with Buildzoid he rambles at times, but he still does a good job providing a bit of a different take on the card compared to a lot of the tech press.

33. Snowdog

Snowdog Pasty Nerd with Poor Cardio

I think his premise is flawed. He seems under the assumption that AMD has big sales in the data center, and this was just a lark to sell it to consumers.

I think both of those points are questionable.

1: I really doubt AMD has big data center sales. NVidia dominates data center even more than it dominates gaming. CUDA dominates scientific computing.
    2: I really doubt AMD ever planned this as a data center only chip. AMD is all about using a chip in as many applications as possible.

IdiotInCharge and Montu like this.
  34. IdiotInCharge

It's an advantage and a disadvantage- obviously some like Apple appreciate the multi-use capability, but it does put it them at a basic inefficiency disadvantage that has to be accounted for one way or another in final products.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019 at 3:20 PM
  35. KazeoHin

KazeoHin [H]ardness Supreme

So this is 60 CUs with 16GB, I would love to see a 50 CU/8GB version for $475.

horrorshow likes this.
  36. Auer

Auer n00bie

If the 7 proves itself as a legit 4k gaming choice and also as a decent creative Pro performer the current price seems ok to me.

A

37. CAD4466HK

CAD4466HK Gawd

38. NKD

NKD [H]ardness Supreme

Why would you want to waste money at that? Just grab a vega 56 or 64 for cheaper lol. Its not just the 16GB of memory, that extra HBM2 stacks are more than doubling the bandwidth which is one of the primary reasons for the performance increase. if 8GB got the same performance amd would have loved to do that. There is a reason it has double the memory bandwidth.

sabrewolf732, Bawjaws and cybereality like this.
  39. El Derpo

El Derpo Limp Gawd

Brand tattoos are just about the dumbest thing on the planet.

exlink and NKD like this.
  40. NKD

NKD [H]ardness Supreme

why do people do this! I know its their body but common! lol. Its like enslaving yourself to a brand.